KartPulse KartKraft Throwdown Season 1

What time of day do you guys usually get online? Let’s see if we can co-ordinate a sesh or two.

Well I’m pretty much online off and on from 4 est to typically midnight weekdays.

I think it would be easier if I were to friend you on steam. That way you’d be able to see if we are online and message. Easy to be I. Same practice session, I think. There’s not enough folks playing that there’d be multiple lobbies yet.

1 Like

@tjkoyen heres a good s3 from yesterday. At least I think so. I can’t tell without splits but the lap was decently quick (.3). This one felt good. Maybe something there for you to see.

We’re friends now. I’m rarely sitting on steam tho. I’m surprised there aren’t more people online… Maybe it’s mostly people from Europe or Oz?

Yeah I need to take more grass on the first part for sure. Still can’t get that lock-and-flick on entry like you do.

My experience had been that our day time the servers have fewer players. When I get on at around 4 I catch a couple people sometimes but often it’s empty. Then it picks back up later. There aren’t that many people playing us hours. At least not yet but they are adding more folks to beta. I have seen lobbies of 12 ish but that is rare currently.

If you see me on and want to race, just ping me and we can hop in a lobby

1 Like

Mild improvement in time. TJ in sights, Evan remains a distant target

@tjkoyen Trying your 10/73 suggestion. It’s more rolly and less attacky. It looks like, though we are well beneath limiter, that you can stay in the mid and top to compensate. I can go faster here. I think my optimal is below 40.00 now.

I feel pretty good about s3 and am not intimidated by it anymore. That being said, not sure I am doing it well, but I think I’ve got the gist of it.I’d love to know what my splits are but there’s a bug and the UI isn’t showing up on my videos.

Changed gearing to 74. Ran a only just barely dirtied in first turn 34.9. No video. So close.

I’m on a 9/65 at NTK so right in the middle of where you guys were. I seem to always like a hair shorter ratio to help out of the slow corners, though raising the driver position seems to help with roll speed center off, and may allow for a slightly taller ratio.

Ran a few laps at PFI Classic the other day and went a bit quicker than before. The higher driver position is definitely faster, though a bit tricky with the curbs in a couple places.

The last complex is all about kart position, and less about gearing. I use the brakes to slide the kart through the right hander, and keep a tight line, making sure not to turn into the last left too soon. It’s very difficult to hit the right line with the optimal rolling speed, but when you do it makes all the difference.

@tjkoyen @Muskabeatz I find that a very hard hit on the brake that you then “jump” off of makes it work. Really hard, as short duration a punch as you can.
When you release quickly you immediately turn in and get on.

As you are getting on gas the engine had been forced down by the hard brake. So, it takes it a second to get breathing fully. This lack of initial grunt works out beautifully because by the time it’s howling, you have completed the first part of the turn.

There is something that happens that’s different. The hard braking allows you to roll through the turn without any push at the turn in. It feels oddly glued down. I am doing a poor job of explaining this. Just try a stab of braking here and see if you see what I see.

@Muskabeatz on the gearing, I have been rolling 10-75 but tried the taller gearing, going to a modest 10-73 And 72.
While I ran a 35.0 optimal (73), versus a dirty 34.9 with (74) it’s very close. The longer gearing seems to be what TJ thinks is correct but it feels wrong to me. It seems strange never being at limiter on 73 teeth. At 74 I just barely touch limiter prior to turn 1.

At what point does the gearing choice come down to the pull from the corners being more important than the speed at end of straight? I am baffled because I can run fast laps 72-76 teeth here. It’s just driven differently.

That’s a big swing alright. You can look at your total time for a race distance and see if a pattern emerges.

Otherwise you might pick it based on tactics … where you want the kart to be fastest during a lap. For example if you’re starting at the back in a race that’s likely to get bunched up, you might opt for something like the 72 to have an advantage as drivers trip over each other.

That’s an interesting idea. Hadn’t thought about gearing in relation to others in a race. For absolute lap times, you’d think that a certain gearing would be best.

After another 30 min of practice last night, I now have a 34.7 optimal on 10-72 gearing. I raised the seat up to 75% and softened the front bar a little further.

Definitely trying too hard now though. I was really quick through the first hairpin and chicane and now I’m losing time there, so I need to dial back my entry on the hair and roll more speed there I think.

I think my gearing questions all stem from the fact that I don’t have splits to compare, currently. Normally I pay close attention to spit times to see if my changes are faster. Now I have to wait till end of lap to get a laptime. A bit frustrating.

@tjkoyen low ride height, 75% vert? I tried 65 at AMP and was falling over a lot. Lots of fun 2 wheelin’. I am guessing you are avoiding kerbs?

How’s your time in s1 with tall gearing?

What’s your approach to chicane?

Yes, low ride height, 75% vertical seat height. I’m avoiding curbs at NTK because, well, there are none. But I haven’t had any bicycling issues.

I can’t remember my sector times, but I think I’m about even with your ghost through sector one. The chicane is where I was gaining a couple tenths. I gain a little on the exit of 1 because of the better top end, lose a little on the exit of 3, but like I said before, I think that’s negligible because the run to the chicane is short and all the gearing evens out there anyway. Then after the chicane, the tall gear gives me more down that straight as well.

The only place I feel like that gear actually costs me time is off the final corner, but I’m still not driving that well.

For the first chicane, I approach pretty shallow and just sort of ease the kart into the first right, breathing the throttle just after turn-in to set the kart, then back to full throttle about the same time I’m flicking quick to the left. Two wheels off at each apex, just enough not to invalidate. Trying to keep the wheel as straight as possible through that whole section.

Sounds correct. Brake or no?

It’s interesting seeing how greater real world experience allows you to speed up quicker, understand the track. Last sector is the one that’s a head scratcher. It’s sort of unique in that it doesn’t really make sense to decrease the radius of an exit onto straight. Can you think of any other track that has this type of turn?

Let’s see what we can do. I am getting sick of euros being at the top of the global rankings. Not that I have anything against them but cmon home team.

No brake. Just a light throttle lift.

I think I really got all of S2 here. I recall the chicane whizzing by and my inputs being slightly different.
It would have been nice to break through to 34 but I’ll take any forwards progress. Optimal in .8s now I think.

1 Like