KG Bodywork on OTK?

Start out with a cyclist design, improve on it for full face

Then give to TJ
And bam

You’re Willem Dafoe

Oh heck yeah. I like it.

2 Likes

I`ve seen Kg 508 front panel with manufacturers sticker kit showing 1011gr on scale.

I was talking with someone recently about running the 507 nose/508 fairing on the OTK, I guess the OTK bodywork is pretty bad about an aero wash at high speed when behind another kart, and switching to the KG bodywork reduces that aero push significantly.

I’m not sure what actually causes the difference but I heard the KG nose is angled slightly on the bottom which creates a diffuser effect to help plant the front end when following.

Did you ever get an answer on this? I am curious too.

It is lighter, cheaper and less prone to breaking. Looks good too

2 Likes

Nice decals! Is it roughly the same size as the 508? What weight savings are we talking roughly, 500g/1lb or much less?

That’s a 507 Nassau and bumper with 506 pods?

The 507 pods seem much smaller than the 506. I wonder if moving to 507 pods has any weight savings?

1 Like

Thanks!

I don’t really know how much save it would be. But it is a save for sure with 507 pods and Nassau panel compared to 506 kit.

507 Nassau is the exact same dimensions as the 508 but without the cut out. For example you order the same kit for both 507 and 508

I have the 506 pods as well, I do think they are bulky tho. But I won’t order 507 unless my decal kit is fully messed up

Example of 508 driver panel with 506 everything else.

I would love to know the difference that these fairings make at high speed tracks like new castle with the big long straights. Especially with the KZ class.

I personally haven’t driven the otk with that front panel on it so i have nothing to compare my 506 ->508 jump to.

It seems no one has mentioned the actual reason. The KG nose is softer and takes more force to trigger the push back. The fairing is changed because the OTK fairing interferes with the KG nose.

If anyone thinks any of these teams give two shits about the price difference in the fairings when the OTK one literally comes in the box… :joy:

3 Likes

Little to no difference.

2 Likes

Even with the lower hp classes and higher weights, the difference is negligible.

Most of last season I ran the 508 fairing with the dynamica bumper and 506 pods lol. To others points, if I had to guess I’d say the lightest combo would be the dynamica fairing and bumper with the 508 pods.

1 Like

i’ll admit, i upgraded from my 506 front panel to the 508 for the sole reason that it looks cooler.

you run the same setup as me if I’m not mistaken right?

Should be the same setup, though I honestly don’t know which pods I have, so let’s assume they’re the same. I run the newer fairing purely because it’s what was on the kart when I bought it. I’ve won races and had good MPH with both the 506 and 508.

Karts have the Aerodynamics of a Brick. You can absolutely make gains be it Reduced Drag or added Downforce but usually not both.

A solo kart is one thing, the draft is something completely different. Generally with drag for example the gains you make with panels/placement you end up helping the draft quite a bit because your outwashing air over or around the kart making a giant hole for the next guy. The lowest amount of drag is a Combo of many different manufacturers for aero on my body type, others will have different outcomes as different drivers panels push air differently. That said, the difference isnt going to be one you notice unless your specifically looking for it. (IE strait line testing)

So really the difference in weight will be the backing of the 508. I will weigh it in the coming days.

1 Like

Everyone is so preoccupied with the relative aerodynamics of bodywork, and fails to realize you’ll find a bigger relative gain in the fitment of your suit, your choice of helmet, and most importantly, the position of your body in the kart.

3 Likes