Korsasport Karting 101 - Lesson 3 : Basic Chassis Tuning and Setup

Per your request!

Karting 101 Episode 3 is out! I go over the basics of tuning and chassis setup, and break down almost every single adjustment on a modern sprint kart. Hope you’ve got a free 51 minutes. Throw it on in your headphones as you work today maybe.

12 Likes

Aha. This should prove useful. Looking forwards to it.
Edit: just saw that I am in the title vid! So cool!

Some people have already asked about wheels and tires, since I didn’t touch on them in this video. I probably will make a separate video for that stuff, as I think there are more interesting things do discuss with tires that might warrant a deep-dive.

You’re in every intro, as a star pupil of mine.

1 Like

Even the dimmest of stars can be seen on a moonless night. :smiley:

I have been less than a year in the karting scene and I must say, what you’re doing TJ is wonderful!! Keep up the good work. Maybe you can start a GoFundMe fundraising to get more of these out?

1 Like

I never thought anyone would be interested in donating, but maybe I’ll set up some kind of tip system on YouTube. Money isn’t really the limiting factor to me doing more videos, it’s time! Between my main job, being at the race track working, household projects, and my almost 1-year old, it’s hard to squeeze in the time to record and edit YouTube videos.

2 Likes

Pinned for a week because awesome.

Just do a paypal link for now?
You could outsource the editing. Although finding someone capable can be a full time job in itslelf.

I’m excited to check it out!

1 Like

Good job ! I think it will help a lot of people.
You might want to invest in a microphone (even on a headset) though

1 Like

Thanks man! I had a Yeti mic but it broke. Have a new one on order. :+1:t3:

1 Like

I haven’t finished the video yet, but I’m about half way through. Do you want questions here, on YT below the video, or somewhere else?

Wherever you’d like, here is fine, it might generate some good discussion.

1 Like

I’m guessing that the setup that works for a tight corner vs an open corner is different? So do you create a setup that works ok for both, but might not be the best for the specific corner type? Make sense?

In other words, when you are doing your setup, whether it be the rear wheel lift, or caster/camber, do you setup for the more open corners which would likely be less reactive to the chassis (depending on speed) or do you setup for the tighter corners, or something in the middle? Or do you look at the number of open corners vs tight corners and set up for the larger number of corners. For example, there are 6 tight corners and 3 open corners, do you do the setup for the 6 tight corners, the 3 open corners, or do you setup somewhere in the middle?

2 Likes

That’s a good question. Typically I’m setting the kart up to be good in the most common corners or a section of the track where there are passing opportunities or something. It’s always going to be a compromise between the fast and slow corners. Sometimes a kart that is lifting enough to rotate in slow corners ends up being too free in a faster corner. If possible I try to even it out and make it good in both types of corner, but in the end it’s good to look at your data and split times and see where you have the biggest opportunity to gain.

One example is GoPro Motorplex, which I’ve done well at, where there is really one tight hairpin and the rest is pretty flowing. I set my kart up to be better in the flowing stuff and deal with maybe a little understeer or slightly worse bottom end gearing because the benefits of being fast in the flowing corners far outweigh that one hairpin.

Important to also remember you can affect the kart’s handling with your driving style, so maybe you have a little understeer dialed in for the flowing corners but by muscling the kart a little harder in the tight corners you are able to get it to rotate like you want it there.

2 Likes

Thanks! I like the idea of fine tuning your setup where there are more opportunities to pass. The theory makes sense, putting it into practice will be a challenge. Good video!

TJ…Another Great Video!

In basic principle, I understand the idea and reason behind lifting the inside wheel. What enlightened me a bit was the comment that basically everything we change on a kart is directly affecting the amount of lift. I had never thought about it like that, while some adjustments like caster are obvious, many other adjustments mentioned I never made the connection to lift.

With that in mind, I am curious how do you or other karters determine if the kart is lifting or not lifting ideally and how fast it’s happening? Is it by how the kart is handling or a feel of how much the kart is lifting? I have never had a sense of how much or how long a kart is lifting.

2 Likes

Good question Bob. It’s subtle and hard to tell, but if you are really attuned to it, you can feel when it lifts, or at least when it sets down. You’ll feel a slight bump usually when it sets down. It might take some time to develop that feeling, but you can also infer how well it’s lifting based on the kart’s handling. Might be worth having another set of eyes on the grid watching and telling you if it’s lifting or not, so you can correlate that with how it’s feeling on track is worthwhile. My dad always used to stand on the grid and after each race we would discuss how and when it was lifting the inside rear.

That video and that youtube channel are great resources, thanks for producing them.

1 Like

Great video and explanation! Very informative. New to all this. Just getting into karting. My kart is being built now. Waiting on a supply of B&S motors. And a helmet. Both three weeks out. Oh well, too hot anyway! Looking forward to hanging out here and absorbing information. I love forums, great resources! Thank you for all this!

4 Likes