Lap standard deviation during race

(Joseph Costanza) #1

So I just finished my first race weekend (1st, 2nd, rained out for the main heat for points, took 1st points based on pull number) and have been examining my data. I have been pounding it into my head that consistency is key over winter so I’ve been paying attention to the standard deviation of the 10 lap heats and managed a 0.96 second SD (which I am fairly proud of as new to karting) but I am curious as to what is considered good. Google didn’t help a whole lot, I have to assume that top drivers are likely cutting that number in half, even when including the laps before the tires come in as I did

Any thoughts?

(Alex Christie ) #2

Throwout (disable in lap manager) the first lap, lap #4, and your times look consistent for a new driver. The outlier distorts the avg and stdv. I think consistency is 1) good so you can systematically find areas to improve and 2) relative to your own history at first. Hope that helps.

(TJ Koyen) #3

Agree, you’ve got some outliers in there that are skewing it a bit. Disable those laps as Alex said and you’ll see a clearer picture.

We use the theoretical lap function a lot to see how consistent a driver is. Real good drivers are usually within .1 or .2 of their optimal lap, every lap. I usually set up 3-5 splits depending on track.

Your hot laps look pretty consistent, so I’d say it’s a good job for your first event.

(Nik Goodfellow) #4

I just looked at mine for comparison from the ICP Cup a few weekends ago. Disabling lap 1 my stdv is 0.3. Ignoring the last three laps when I backed off its 0.2. I probably took too long to get up to speed, I didn’t hit my stride till lap 5 to get within 1 tenth of my fastest lap.

Ignoring your first lap you’re at 0.3. From lap 6 on you’re at 0.11. Good going.

(Joseph Costanza) #5

Well thanks guys, that’s encouraging! My plan was to be consistent before starting to experiment with tire pressures and really anything beyond gearing, maybe I can start sooner than I thought.

Also, I can’t seem to get the theoretical lap to display properly; I think I messed the map up when trying to split it into only 3 sections instead of 5 (thought it would be easier for me to understand; but now I find myself wanting to know more about specific turns so the 5 would be helpful), does anyone know how I would change it back to the default split sections?

(TJ Koyen) #6

I’m not positive but I think you need to start a new track map if you want to change the splits.

(Dom Callan) #7

I think the sectors are created automatically in the map manager menu. One of davins videos called something like “understanding map manager” or “creating a track map”, I think goes into this.

But in map manager, you can edit sectors.