Let's talk about Seat Position

i’m running a 2021 kosmic (otk) chassis and a ka100. one thing about the kosmic is it has vertical mounting struts for the bottom screws so you can only pull the seat back a certain amount. and i have the seat level with the bottom of the frame bars.

and I weigh 200 pounds as of now. but I will drop down to about 190 or so for karting season next year

If you’re 6’1" you should consider an Emme (Croc Promotions/Magic/Race Factory/AK USA) or Factory kart; the seat position for them in either TaG or shifter has me stretching to my limit.

Id look at an extended from porch kit like @Muskabeatz mentioned. I’m a firm believer that seat position should not be compromised. I’ve had my seat in the wrong position before and fixing it helped my lap times tremendously.

2 Likes

Does anyone know of an extended front porch kit for OTK? I have a 2019 Kosmic and at 6’2", seat all the way back against the engine side seat stay “bump” and heel stop all the way forward, my knees are still really bent. I actually don’t mind the bend in the knee too much but what I am finding is that I can’t brace with my heels while corning because my feet can’t bend backwards enough to move the pedals through the range while my heels are against the stops (due to the angle of my knees and shins). Also, its hard to keep my knees from flopping outward going around high G corners.

When I watch videos of drivers like Norberg and I see his legs are basically flat, the resulting angle of the ankle / feet looks much more natural and I see how you could actually brace. Right now, I basically have to brake with my whole leg and not just my foot pressing forward.

I am struggling with oversteer, so perhaps I could bend the stays out more and scoot the seat backwards a bit without compromising balance? The front porch idea seems nice but I can’t find anything that is off the shelf.

Maybe check out this thread:

I think our favorite vertically blessed Kartist, @GregF might know a thing or two about those porches.

1 Like

There really isnt a consensus over there in that thread. It sounds like the CRG kit might fit the OTK chassis but that is a $400 gamble I don’t really want to take.

I find it odd that OTK does not make an extension kit off the shelf.

1 Like

In my experience, OTK is not made for larger drivers and therefore do not need to carry the front porch.

I just bolt the seat in with a skilled eye and if I need a change I just move it. This approach has given me great sucess in karting. I also scale perfectly in corner weight but tend to carry more rear weight on the kart then most.

there are only 2 kits available now (that I know of). Freeline and CRG. Arrow had one before too, but not sure if still available, I think you can still buy the lower loop for about $90 and then extend the upper/fabricate the rest. I think the CRG is the one that is easily adaptable to most applications. I just bought one to try on my IPK, it’s in transit. I can post pictures/measurements once I get it if you think it helps

Our CRG porch has worked on a TB, a Croc, a DR, and an ItalKart. It’s basically just a bolt on and go deal, not CRG specific.

Couldn’t you get it and if it doesnt work out, return it? Sometimes text comes across wrong - I’m sharing stuff to try to be helpful, not snarky. Hopefully you find a solution!

I am now actually a bit concerned we haven’t heard from @GregF. He’s our go to for this kind of stuff and usually doesn’t miss the oppty to pipe up.

1 Like

Talk to the guys as FasTech they might willing to give you a money back deal and they might know if the CRG will fit. I’ve bought some stuff from them and they seem to be decent. This is their link. Karts, Parts & Accessories!.

Where is the seat with respect to the OTK dimensions? A word of caution, there are two variations of seat position depending on year. The later models the seat is set back further.

It is a 2019 Kosmic chassis with a Greyhound seat. It is as back as far as it can go which puts it up against the inboard reinforcement tubing connected to the engine side seat stay. The seat stay has a second tube connected to it down to the rear crossbar which is preventing the seat from being moved backwards anymore.

I was in the same boat you are now. Knees around my ears and couldn’t get my feet vertical enough to brace myself in the seat. Unfortunately, I am so tall, that even with a front porch my feet are still pitched forward a bit. I make it work.

As far as what is available, Mike Jones at DKC advised me that the CRG is universal. Personally I had one custom made. Like you I wasn’t sure about the fitment of the CRG on an OTK, because the OTK front hoop and pedal mounts use an unusual tapered tube that a non-tapered tube would flop around on. Unless you could find or make some kind of insert that would fill the gap of the taper, then it could work.

I worked with a guy that races Dirt Stock Cars and asked if he knew a cage builder. He was able to recommend a guy in the area that I hired to make a custom front porch. He was able to get the pedals 4 inches further out and allow me to get the seat back in the tuning window. In retrospect, I should have had him make it a little longer to get the pedals 6 inches out from factory. I have some pic posted on another thread.

Sorry Dom. My daughter recently discovered Mario Kart on my old Wii and has been taking up a lot of my free time racing with me. :joy:

3 Likes

Maybe the absolute best and most acceptable answer I have ever heard. Enjoy!

1 Like

would you know where I could get a custom steering column support?

1 Like