LO206 to IAME X-30

So I might be making the jump from LO206 to X-30. My knowledge base on 2 stroke is pretty non-existent, I’m assuming I’ll need an engine mount and possibly and exhaust hanger. Not sure what is included vs. excluded when you buy the engine.

My chassis is a 2 stroke chassis, with an LO206 on it now. I still plan to run both if possible which I think it is?

I’m going on Sunday to pick up a NOS IAME X-30.

1 Like

Don’t forget radiator and water pump too!

3 Likes

And ibuprofen. :checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag:

1 Like

X30 will have an outside rear sprocket which is likely different than what your running on the 206.
While anything is possible I wouldn’t plan on swapping from one to the other at the track to try and run 2 classes.

Setup coming complete with wiring harness? Pipe?

2 Likes

Drug it home today. I was on the fence on going 2 stroke, but the price was very fair IMHO. Seller even threw in a motor mount to go with it. He was reverse commute, going from 2 stroke to LO206.

NOS Blue Printed IAME X-30 from Ocala Grad Prix before they shuttered their doors earlier this year. RIP OGP!

Jeez, a freaking 2 stroke. I know nothing about these things, might as well speak to me in Russian. :rofl:

2 Likes

You may know nothing about them right now, but I assure you, you’re about to have a whole lot of fun!

1 Like

Thanks bro, its a bit intimidating.

No big deal, just going from 8 HP to THIRTY :smiley:

2 Likes

If you havent already found it. Here is the assembly manual for the X30

2 Likes

All that was included.

1 Like

You’ll be fine. Look ahead, and be intelligent in how you use the throttle. You’ll get used to it, as long as you keep the fundamental.

1 Like

Debating whether to purchase a TB Kart S586 to mate this thing too, and just run two karts. I have a soft spot for TB, it was my first kart, and the only one I know that donates to veteran charities.

“Thank you for your service” is cute, but TB Kart puts their money where their mouth is . . . they are the only chassis manufacturer that does this that I am aware of. Being a combat veteran, that’s important.

2 Likes

I’d just run one kart, on alternating weekends, as long as I could get away with it.

Congratulations! It’s a nice engine. Felix Rovelli from IAME recommends Elf HTX oil. It only looks expensive, a bottle lasts three race days or so. I use 93 octane premium e10 gas, Extron Pro rear sprockets, and DID chains. I’ll let you know how long the O-ring chain lasts, but a plain chain lets you spin the axle for a little while.

Whats the deal with caster oils in 2 stroke? What are the con’s vs. benefits? Was reading the rule book (I think in SSKC) and they recently added that to their rulebook and I was wondering why. . .

Generally castor is preferred in Air-cooled applications (Higher localized temps), but is used in watercooled as well. A lot of it is personal (or builder) preference really.

Once you stick to whatever IAME recommends you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Do I need to upgrade my race computer? I have a single 1T Alfano 6. Also, on a water cooled engine, does it monitor head temp, exhaust temp, or something to do with the cooling system?

For the Temp, it will only monitor one, either water, cylinder, or exhaust since you have the 1t. I use water temp personally, I think it’s the most important, will let you know that your water pump is working and your engine won’t implode. You’ll need the cable as well as a hose connector with the necessary cable connection to screw the temp monitor cable into. Then split the hose in half and attach them to both sides and clamp them with a hose clamp.

I don’t know if you need the k type sensor or NTC type. I’m not familiar with Alfano

1 Like

Ideally you want two temps. Water and EGT. Not sure what Alfano’s set up is for that.

Water to monitor engine cooling and EGT for tuning.

1 Like

If I could only monitor one temperature it would be EGT. If I’ve got a big enough water leak to send the water temperature out of range it’ll show up on EGT too - acting leaner every lap with slower rise and slower cooldown!

1 Like

Water in the radiator (in the event it leaks on the track) or do you use coolant?