LO206 Tuning/Repairs Before/During/After Races

So since I’ll be racing lo206 next year, I just have a couple of questions.

1. What do you guys do with the kart before the race?
  2. What tuning or repairs do you guys make in between heats and other races?
  3. What do you guys do with your kart after races?

I know a couple things like clean the carb after races, lube the chain and sprockets, change the tires every 3-4 races, change gearing, but overall what tips should I know in order to keep my chassis and engine running competitive with minimum issues? And what issues should I be aware of?

I’m just worried about going to the track and racing and then something happens or something doesn’t feel right and then I’m without having a clue what to do

1 Like

For the most part we live the chain, top up the gas and send it. The Briggs engine has not us down yet. Use the right oil and change it often. I like to touch up the valves mid season. Otherwise keep the bearing lived and check to make sure all the bolts are tight and nothing is bent. Oh and lightly grease the clutch bearing.

This is a thread I started to help out a lot of the new people coming into Karting. It has been added to by others and hopefully will continue to grow. Most of it is universal to both 2 stroke and 4 stroke. It may answer some, if not most of your questions.

What needs to be checked on a kart and how often - Some thoughts following a discussion with a fellow member

2 Likes

Thank you for the checklist, I really like how it includes info for both 2 stroke and 4 stroke, especially since I’m planning on transferring over to 2 stroke in the future after LO206

I raced Ignite last year which is an LO206 class. What I did was

• Cleaned and lubed chain
  • Cleaned rear of kart
  • WD-40 on exhaust and axle
  • Bolt check. Just place wrench on bolts and confirm they are not easily moved
  • Replaced clutch springs
  • serviced clutch shoes
  • check nut on engine side plate

Every other weekend I replaced the oil. The tires are R80, and can last a whole season. Last year in a large class the winner on weekend 7 was still on original tires

I was planning on getting a Margay Ignite as well! Seems pretty similar to the maintenance schedule that I heard from others, except for the tires, I normally hear that you should switch them every 3-4 races. When you used the same tires for the whole season did your times decrease or remain the same? I’m also assuming it depends what level of racing you’re doing. If it’s local racing then it doesn’t matter but at regional or national lo206 then 3-4 races would be more appropriate. Just a guess

The ignite rules run super hard tires, so new tires don’t really make a huge difference.

It depends on how much practice time you are putting in between races too. Above club level, there is more time spent testing prior to the event and more practice time during the event so that can eat up some of there life.

Soft or Hard compound tires will dry out over time as the natural and synthetic oils evaporate or get cooked off during use and storage. One way to combat this is to wrap them in some sort of plastic. I have seen many racers using simple cling wrap from the grocery store and started doing the same. It seems to help. I make three or four passes with the film as snug as I can get it, then use a torch to shrink the film down in the center and along the sides to conform. Not melting it, but just heating it to the point where the film naturally shrinks a little. Best to store them in a cool dark place. Heat and sunlight will degrade the rubber over time as well.

1 Like

Oh ok makes sense, yeah I was thinking with the Ignite every 3 races or so, depending on how they look. I’m also planning on doing practice and testing before races, so I can adjust my gearing and understand the track better. I know that the Briggs LO206 engine is made to last long, but how many hours will it be able to perform before I need to get a new one? Does it depend on the competition?

1 Like

I ran another series with the ignite that R60. Those I would change every 3 races or so.

In LO206, I’m thinking about racing in the CKNA South and the local races. Maybe the SKUSA Margay Winter Series, so tires every 3-4 races would be the plan

Damn I guess I over kill. I use a new set of tires for each race weekend if 2 day event. If one day or small class turnout I’ll use a old set.

Oof well at least you know now sooner than later :joy:

And question for those who race LO206: are there any things you do to the engine that affect your performance, or do you just leave it alone and maintain it? I know you can change stuff to your engine in 2 stroke and have a different performance, but what about LO206?

I have my engine guy take care of my stuff. He gets a good seal on the valves, sets lash and carb, and then I don’t touch it until it’s time to have him redo the valves about 5 hours of runtime later.

Tire wise, on a medium compound, I’m putting a new set on for practice day, then running them race day, then running them practice day, then flipping them and running them race day, then trashing them and doing it again.

I run a motor for a long time. Then when bored redo the valves. I do check lash after every event. I def wouldn’t run a new set of tires for practice. Ever. Stickers for 1-3 laps of practice to scrub in for qualifying only.

Ok so I have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s not that you’re explaining anything wrong, I just have new actually raced lo206 yet, will be next year, so I’m a complete noob at the moment. Few questions:

1. what does it mean to redo the valves
  2. what is a lash :joy:
  3. what are stickers :joy:

Please forgive my noobness

Just pull the head and lap the valves in. A quick google of lapping valves will show you.

Lash is a measurement of rocker arms from the push rod to the valve. Again. Quick YouTube video explains better than I ever can via text.

Stickers=new tires.

Its all about maximizing the engine’s potential.

Lapping the valves is a way of ensuring you get a good seal where the petal of the valve contacts the underside of the head (combustion chamber) and does not lose compression.

Setting valve lash is a way of measuring the gap between the rocker arm’s contact with the valve stem and push rod. Too much and the valve will not open fully. Too little and the valve will not close fully.

Like Lindsay said, most new tires come with a sticker on them or cellophane wrap with a sticker. Just slang for new tires.

Sometimes folks just swap the head vs lapping the valves. Personal preference.