Lo206 wait

I was looking to see how long others have waited to get Lo206 motors. I’ve been on comets list since April and still haven’t heard anything. I understand is been chaos. Any info would be greatly appreciated

I think that everyone (All vendors) is in the same situation very few motors going out right now. I have been waiting on he head for a very long time and many other parts are not available.

This is having a big impact on smaller engine shops I am sure as they are unable to sell engines to customers basically drying up their revenue. I am hoping these shops/individuals are able to make ends meet with rebuilds and service with parts so limited.

We’ve had a supply issue since March and engines just recently started trickling in to dealers recently. All the engine builders, shops and dealers are all in the same boat.

Comet’s backorder list is probably multiples of 100 from just March and April alone.

Even smaller builders are back ordered in the hundreds.

Just had a conversation with someone at my track who ordered one in May. He just got updated last week that they are still at least 2 months out +/-.

Unfortunately, there’s no end in sight. Please know your local shops are at the mercy of Briggs. Be kind. Be patient.

FWIW, we have started telling people 2022 as I’m not 100% sure when I’ll get engines.

1 Like

So I’m a newbie looking to get into lo206. How do you guys think this will affect the class for the next few years? Are these lack of supply common or is this extraordinary? Are there enough solid engines in circulation to keep the racing going? Makes me apprehensive buying into something that is having supply issues.

1 Like

This is uncommon. But I wouldn’t be too worried, there is always used gear out there. And you definitely don’t need to buy new.

If the shortage continues you may see the used market start to dry up but I wouldn’t super concerned about it yet.

There are shortages in many industries at the moment. Tough situation for a lot of manufacturing.

I do not think this is indicative of LO206, Briggs, or karting. It is the world right now. Where I work we have parts that were supposed to be in last week that our suppliers have now identified will be 4 months out. The delay has changed 3 times in as many days with longest listed at 9 months. It really is a crazy mess right now.

No shortage of Tilly 225’s

1 Like

There would be if anybody wanted one

1 Like

It’s a double whammy for Briggs and others in karting. In addition to general global supply chain issues PVL Ignition went bankrupt. A lot of karting engine brands including Briggs rely on PVL. The Briggs bankruptcy didn’t help wither.

Tillotson have had supply issues on and off as well, and yes some people do want them.

@Felix_Rovelli if IAME built a direct-drive KA100 with a simplified ignition and wiring harness you could sell a bunch of them and make sure people who wanted to get into the sport could!

The masses are not going to do a push start kart if that’s what you mean by direct drive?

That’s exactly what I mean by direct drive. Solo push starts are an impressive physical feat but kart tracks have people swarming like ants around the grid now so it should be no trouble at all to get sixty people to shove a grid of twenty karts into life.

The market spoke, the masses want electric start. And the KA is already about as foolproof as you can get. The non-purist crowd would probably ask why you would make the engine less convenient to run by removing the clutch and battery.

I get it, but even I would prefer the clutch and on-board starter.

From experience I can say (tongue somewhat in cheek)

40 of those will get scarce after they first push a kart and fall in the process.
10 will help but can’t give a good push and you’ll end up with a flooded motor.

The push start exodus is real :joy:

We had push start karts in coexistence with TaG for about ten years, I tend to agree what TJ said… people moved in droves to electric start.

We can’t use OK as an example for push starting because as karting goes, the competitors, the class and the resources are outliers.

Push starting is for masochists and while I’m one of those people (to a fault), the majority of folks are not.

Plus, the VLR100 is a fantastic package that can be had for under $1800 (Edit low $2,000’s now). That’s a pretty good deal if the KA seems out of budget.

$2100

Price increased a little while ago. Still cheaper than the KA that’s up to $2800 now.

1 Like

I snagged a new short block because my cam ended up being rounded from pointkarting. It’s local to Colorado so he may have some heads or short blocks. I would have purchased a new engine but I think there is a shortage everywhere

1 Like

I know a fella racing tillotson 225 in Benelux. It seems like the Briggs of Europe.

One big advantage is electric start combined with an electric kart stand makes karting a one man sport. Even on a sparse practice day, you don’t have to ask a complete stranger on the other side of the pit area to push start your kart and if the kart doesn’t start you haven’t exhausted some stranger because of your problem.

There a lot of older guys that race KA because of the electric start feature. Plus I can’t imagine trying to get 30 karts started on the pre-grid and rolling out and with that many there is bound to be 1 or 2 that won’t start easily and I’m sure some will stall on the track creating further chaos.

A few years back when the on-board starters were introduce by IAME they were crappy. Rotax got the on-board starters reliable and then IAME got it right. It’s the right direction for the sport.