Magnesium wheels with US bolt pattern?

Where can I find magnesium wheels with the US bolt pattern? The kart I bought last season has American pattern hubs on the axle, and I am looking for a new set of wheels, but I can’t seem to find any.

Be easier and likely cheaper to just buy metric hubs.

3 Likes

What size is the axle? If it’s 40 mm, good metric hubs are VERY cheap, gathering dust at any kart shop

1 Like

Yeah, it’s 40mm. I don’t know why the guy had these hubs on. I’ll just have to get metric hubs. Thanks, guys.

Just a question? Do you have different pattern in the us? I thought the hubs are all the same?

There are three.

95% of karts use the “Metric” 8 mm on 3x58 stud pattern that TonyKart and Birel chose.
CRGs use a bigger 8 mm 3x67 stud pattern.
Older American karts used a different pattern that I think is 3x2 3/4" with 5/16" studs.

Most of us don’t have to worry about it.

I think Azusa in California still makes wheels to fit the old “American” bolt pattern but they also make a kart suit that is Barney purple so I’m not sure whether to trust them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There are a few companies that make the American pattern wheels, but they’re all aluminum. It’s weird.

The last I counted, CIK homologated karts use 4 different 3 bolt pattern wheels that vary by Pitch Center Diameter (PCD) - ‘A’ in the diagram below. See below.

Do yourself a favor and get some 3/58 hubs and wheels. It will make your life easier.

• 3/58mm PCD: most popular & used by manufacturers including TonyKart, Birel, and Parolin among others.

• 3/67mm PCD: used by CRG and the brands it manufacturers

• 3/69mm PCD used by Kart Republic

• 3/66mm PCD an option offered by Tecno in addition to its standard 58mm PCD

Advantages: A larger diameter hub will be lighter and also potentially stronger. A larger PCD wheel/hub combination will also tend to be more rigid, providing more grip.

1 Like

Ugh. Breda really came out with a nearly identical stud pattern to CRG without using CRG’s stud pattern, and couldn’t even bother making it a “Wide 5” wheel like an old Ford?