Malta gets a dedicated karting track!

Being a very small island with no professional tracks, practicing motorsport in Malta has always been an issue, and we’ve had to rely on a not very well maintained rental kart track to get some laps in. This is about to change, as this weekend a new track built specifically for karting, with approval of the FIA was inaugurated. While this might be something not as noteworthy in most countries, for us this opens up many possibilities, and makes the sport much more accessible, especially for parents who did not trust the older track with regards to the safety of their children. The track should be fully open as soon as some of the finishing touches (such as more barriers and curbs) are done.

Here is some footage I managed to capture throughout the weekend, both onboard as well as some drone footage.

4 Likes

More Karting in more places is a win win!!

2 Likes

That looks very nice. Nice technical layout, too!

Wow, what a grip and rotation fest! That looks like a ton of fun. Back end wanted to come around a bunch.

Unusual pit/staging area. It’s on track between 2 turns!

It was definitely fun! The track being completely green and some dirt being dragged on the track by other karts made the karts quite twitchy. The pit/staging area was only temporary for the inauguration event until the paddock is finished. Once the track is fully complete, we should have a regular paddock setup up.

Track looks amazing. Do you guys run Rotax over there?

Yes! Most popular classes are Rotax, X30 and Vortex (both Super ROK and DVS). However with the new track, we’re already starting to see an increase in KZ karts.

Awesome! I’ll check it out next time I’m in Malta. It’s a massive upgrade from the rental track. Enjoy the fresh asphalt and glad to see karting grow.

1 Like

@danielgauci do you happen to know if this track has rentals? I’m due to stop in Malta in a couple of weeks for fuel on the way to Morocco to collect the boss’s Falcons. We’re gonna try to bag a 3hr stopover and run to the track to do some laps :joy:

Are they closing for Christmas? It might be 23rd or 24th.

This makes me wonder… Who is the most widely travelled karter amongst us? Can anyone claim to have karted on each continent?

1 Like

Dunno about that lol. I’ve karted in

France
Germany
Spain
Kazakhstan
Canada
UAE obviously

That’s it, 3 out of 7 continents :sweat_smile: let’s see can I add Malta to the list

Unfortunately there aren’t any rentals yet; the track is still in its infancy and I don’t think there are any concrete plans for rentals at the moment. However if you’re here on a Sunday, it might be worth dropping by to see some karts in action as that’s when the practice sessions are held. Feel free to message closer to those dates if interested as I might have more information on whether the track will be open or not that week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohh me me!

I’m missing South America and Australia (and Antarctica, but I don’t think there’s a kart track there lol).

Aha! I figured you’d be widely travelled race-wise.

Same as Nick but missing Africa also. I’ve spent time in Ghana and Senegal, but neither have a track lol or at least they didn’t back then

Ghana got you covered.

http://a1racewaygh.com/

http://housepartygokart.com/

Shame I don’t go there anymore, no station.

https://www.kart-ing-saly.fr/

So does Senegal :joy:

One or two brake spots, maybe. Tres cool but probably not tight enough turns for racing. Would be fun for recreation karting.

Well its not the best track in the world, but it exists! :joy:

I kinda like it. :thinking::thinking::thinking: