Maxxis Sports won’t stay on the bead

Hey Guys,

Just bought some brand new DWT M series classic style 130mm front rims and some Maxxis sport 10x4.5-5 tyres and had them fitted at my local track.

The mechanic was having a lot of trouble getting them to stay on the bead (inside edge where ther is no bead locks) and gave them to me with a little extra pressure hoping after a bit of time they’d stay on when let down to the correct pressure…

Anyway no luck…

I pumped them up to about 40psi left them for a while… still no luck…

In my frustration I pumped them up to about 80psi and left them for a considerable time… still no luck, even when letting them down to 20-25psi they creep off again and eventually go completely flat!

Chatting to a racer at the track on Saturday and he said it’s a know problem with the maxxis fronts…

I’ve got the same tyres on another set of rims and no problems…

Any advice appreciated!
image image

An old MX racer trick is to drill some small holes and put a small machine screw INTO the bead to hold them. Prevents rotation on the rim, and would keep the beads from coming back out. Obviously not manufacturer recommended, but I’m convinced it could be done, and work. And if you were worried about air loss, a small bead of silicone around the outside seam would help too… I’d be tempted to seat the tire to around 40 psi and then put them in a hotbox (see LTO racing…) or non-cooking oven and let them sit a while, then see if they’ll stay… Alternatively, just drill and tap some holes for beadlocks. I don’t like the air loss potential with beadlocks, though…

Yes the thought of an inner bead lock crossed my mind, but it shouldn’t need to be done with quality name brand rims and new tyres… My intention was to have them fitted to the rims then swap the wheels over between sessions… at the moment I don’t even have a useable wheel…

Also as you mentioned putting inter bead locks is just another potential 3 places to get an air leak…

As I spoke to someone at the track who told me this was not an uncommon problem with the maxxis front, I was just wanting to if anyone else could verify that? And if so is it a particular batch or just a general issue?

If it is I’m hopping maybe Maxxis may have a solution?