Mini To Junior

Hey all,

I hope this finds quite a few people well.

I was writing (or now that I think about it - am writing) this to ask about going from a mini, such as a rok, swift, or rotax, to a junior such as X30, rok, and rotax.

I’m writing to know the largest differences in the jump, and tips if you have any. I’m a mini driver at nationals and regionals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If anybody has experience or advice of what the handling/speed is like compared to a mini and the largest differences, that would be great.

Also, if anyone could give me an average fitness requirement such as being able to do _ amount of ___.

Thanks ever so much!
Fion

1 Like

The biggest challenge I notice from my cadet drivers going to junior is lack of confidence and competence in the brakes. In the slower karts they don’t have to brake as hard and they don’t fully understand how much harder they can brake with the bigger rear tires.

Most kids adapt pretty easily to the bigger kart and extra power.

My son just transitioned from Cadet Rok to Junior Rok this year. I work quite closely with him as a parent coach and this is what I hear. The biggest challenge at the beginning of the transition was the G forces on the neck that comes with the increased power of the kart. Six months in he has improved by 2 seconds but he said if he were stronger he can definitely go even faster. So I figure fitness is a big part of it. In terms of handling, he no longer could throttle before the apex as the engine has more power and is also more responsive compared to the mini. Due to the restrictor in the exhaust manifold the junior engine is not as powerful as the unrestricted senior engines so not all the tips that your seniors give you apply. Adding resistance training will prepare you well for the higher g forces. All the skills that you acquired in your cadet journey will serve as great foundation for your junior journey. Other than that I hear it’s a lot more fun and I’m envious every week!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! Turns out my transition was going to be a year late due to my weight. Just had my debut two weeks ago at the SKUSA Winter Series. Went great! Raced in the KA class as a transition and got seventh with pace for the win… definitely a different style to mini.

3 Likes