Mr. Formal eloquently explains lack of shifter participation

Did he go through a kart change when changing team?

He went from Formula K to an OTK chassis.

@Alan_Dove
What do you think of the move? I’m a bit torn. I would totally do this and then be annoyed with myself. (KZ getting spicy footage of Marin and the krash).

Definitely room for improvement. His teammate Hannah Greenemeier outpaced him in nearly every session. First weekend with new equipment is always tough though. I’m sure they’ll have things figured out for Vegas.

I’m a bit out of loop at the moment with everything :slight_smile: you’ll have to bring me into the loop.

I’d like to see Connor Zilisch beat him at Vegas. :joy:

1 Like

That footage of Marin you posted trying to take the inside and subsequent krash. Good or no good? Looked ok to me but ended badly. Can’t figure out if this is a move or not.

I’ll admit to not being an expert on different chassis brands. But what l’ve heard over the years about its reputation, is an OTK frame able to withstand a weekend of hard driving that Formal is famous for?

That must have been rough watching Hannah go by, considering she moved up 16 places on Saturday. The OTK clearly has the capability to be up front, just looking at Hannah’s lap times. Hannah and Danny certainly have different body types, so maybe that’s a factor in getting the OTK to work for him though.

Was Danny on a 30 or 32, anyone know?

Yes. The “OTKs are more fragile than other karts” is a myth.

1 Like

It’s interesting that OTK haven’t done anything to dispel the myth. At least, I haven’t seen anything from them or their dealers.

As soon as you talk about it you allow conversations to form. It almost confirms the myth if you acknowledge it and then you get a slew of posts from people on Facebook etc… stating their kart lasted 2 minutes etc… and it becomes a quagmire.

Are they supposed to issue a press release that says “we promise our karts are fine to use more than once”?

It’s such a nonsense rumor that I don’t think it warrants a corporate response.

Maybe he fell back through the field on Sunday because his chassis was shot?

The drivers going the other way included Billy Musgrave and Jordon Musser. Billy’s on a Factory Kart developed by his father and him in Riverside CA with very good manufacturing quality, and Jordon’s always liked older, stiffer chassis so might’ve been on a 32 all weekend.

Danny’s chassis was brand new, so not at all a matter of it being worn out. I’m sure it’s some acclimation to the chassis, as well as to jetting the Vortex properly with the Aspen fuel. I don’t know for sure, but I’d be very surprised if he was not on a 30mm frame.

PSL’s shifter drivers (Musser included) are all on 30mm frames.

Someday I’m gonna have to try OTK. I hear it’s either a total PITA or the best thing since the invention of Ackerman.

I remember a pal making the switch and it took time.

Side note but I currently drive the single speed factory kart with a KA on it, and it’s fantastic.

I was obviously happy to see Billy get a podium :slight_smile:

Ton of factors could have been at play for Danny’s performance. No clue if he wasn’t feeling well, if he’s just getting acclimated, or if he just plain had a bad weekend. Even the best drivers have bad days.

This might be apples and oranges. But I do recall Danny racing and winning on OTK in single speed Rotax back when he was racing with Ocala Gran Prix. So he is very familiar with the product. Just might take a bit to tune the shifter chassis to his unique driving style.

1 Like

I didn’t follow the race, but I’d take a punt at it being more a motor issue than chassis.

The wreck in the Sunday pre-final bent the chassis 16mm, I think he was up decent from last in the final before crashing but ended up with motor issues as well if I remember correctly.

Danny was a anywhere 3-7 tenths off the leaders, likely some motor issues from the Aspen fuels, and also getting acclimated to the new chassis/engine package.