Mychron 4 Lap Time Data Issue

I think this might be a critical factor!

Usually when I turn get off the track and turn off the kart/MC4 at the scales, it’s then moved on the stand to my tent and then back to the pre-grid when I restart the kart/MC4. So maybe this can be the problem.

However as I said before, I usually ensure it initializes and recognizes the track on the screen before I drive off. Do you think I should leave it a bit longer still before driving off?

Yes, you’re giving it time to know where you are but not enough to fine tune your location. Just try giving it 30 seconds or so to figure out where it is.

Noted. Will do, hopefully this solves it.

Another note, since my data shows one long session rather than multiple laps, is there anyway to retroactively correct this in RS Analysis? I thought loading the track map would have…it didn’t lol.

You might be able to use beacon shift in Race Studio: Ask any questions about karting data analysis using Race Studio - #53 by Eric_Gunderson

Turning it on earlier may allow the unit to see more satellites before you go on track and improve the location accuracy. I’d try that to see if it makes a difference. Once you’ve turned the unit on the first time and you get an accurate fix, you should be fine the rest of the day. You’ll generally run into the issue with slow lock when the unit has been off for awhile or has moved a significant distance - a hundred miles or so. The Almanac (tells the unit where the satellites should be - makes startup faster) will be out of date (if it’s off for awhile) or won’t have the right satellite ephemera (if it moved a long distance since it was shut off) in those cases. That data is downloaded while the unit is trying to get a lock on available satellites.

Even the high end GPS units we used for field data collection had to be turned on half an hour or so before we needed an accurate fix if we had taken them any significant distance from the office.

Hope that helps!

Okay will check out this later tonight- thanks!

Also @Deanbert appreciate all the help- I’ll definitely try turning it on earlier next time I’m at the track and let you guys know. Thanks a lot also.

1 Like

If you go to the GPS Lap Insert feature, you can set a start/finish line manually on the GPS generated track map, and confirming that start/finish line will automatically generate and split up all the laps correctly.

1 Like

Have you taken the time to set your GPS to the Start/Finish Line? I also run the MC4 and frequent 2 different tracks. I still often have to tell it which track I am at. I had to set the GPS start/finish for both tracks before it would give me good data. Its not always easy during an open practice session with other karts whizzing by as you sit there. I suggest going out on a slow day and park the kart so that your beacon is directly over the start/finish line and recalibrate the point. It may take several minutes, but well worth it. I think on the mc5 and rs3, they improved this with base maps that have already done that.