MyChron 5S ... outlap screws up fastest lap time

i think i know how i’m going to fix/approach this, but figured i’d see how others deal with it.

i have my mychron set up for predictive, best lap time, if i remember correctly. the lap times at my local track (G&J Kartway) for many configurations are about 45s +/- 2s, but the out lap seems to be in the 30s range. this totally jacks up my fast lap, and during an actual race lap, my green/red lights across the top will be pegged out green until i get towards the end of the lap, then they all go red. i’m probably going to try changing the predictive based on fastest lap to something else, but anyone have a set up they like that avoids this situation with the leds? personally, i really like the feedback i get from the leds, i can usually tell if i did something different during a lap, and knowing if i’m .2 ahead or .2 behind is quite valuable.

1 Like

I have never found a good way to fix this at G&J. I usually use minimum lap time to ignore the first lap, but sometimes the outlap is close enough that it throws it off. Very frustrating.

1 Like

new castle has the same issue if they wave off the start, then have you cut the track to come back around and try again. i brought it up with the AIM guy at grands, asked if they could somehow put an easy reset button or something on the mychron. i’ll watch for it on the mychron 6, lol.

You could add an on/off switch to the tach lead and just turn it on when it goes green. You’ll miss a little bit of action as the 5S takes a while to wake up, but there’s not much good data to be gathered in that first turn

1 Like

I’ve never found a way to 100% fix this. When it happens to me I just try and remember what the offset is and judge it on the fly. When I edit videos with telemetry I have to manually remove the unneeded pace laps

In the Mychron 5 (or 4?) documentation there was a “blind time” parameter that would allow you to set a threshold lap time for which anything under the threshold would be disregarded. I wish that would make a comeback for 5S, as I think this scenario plays at many tracks for waved-off start attempts.

1 Like

I think G&J is just always going to be an oddball with this, because the club uses the Pace Oval for warmup laps, which can then give you laps that are anywhere from 10 sec faster or slower than your “real” laps, depending on the track config and polesitter warmup pace. I think the only workaround for this would have to be some kind of button the driver clicks when the green is waved to initiate the start of the “real” session, but I don’t think the MyChron is setup to receive inputs like that even with custom sensors.

Even without any special buttons or switches, it would be as easy as not turning it on until the first straightaway on the first lap, I guess?

It automatically turns on when the tach lead picks up a signal

Yea, this seems the easiest. Start motor on grid, manually turn off the M5, turn it back on after you’ve passed your start/finish line. In a wave, off you’d have to repeat the off/on cycle.

1 Like

Mine won’t stay off in that case - it fires right back up if the engine is running. I don’t remember why, but I’ve seen it do that before

1 Like

This will work, but I also worry it could take a lap or so before grabbing enough GPS satellites to accurately trigger start/finish if you wait until just before the green.

1 Like

I think I might try the switch on the RPM wire. I kind of remember trying to turn it on and back off while on the track, using the buttons, and I seem to remember getting the ‘ole 6 minute 36 second one lap race result.