Nascar participating in the 24 Hour at La Mans

How do you think it’ll go, its only been 47 years . . .

2 Likes

Elephant in the room right there :joy::joy:

2 Likes

They’re about midfield in the GTE class now. It rained so they lost their straight line advantage

Really cool car and project. Love the concept of Garage 56. Glad it’s competitive as well and not miles off pace.

1 Like

Pretty cool to see the pictures, I was looking to watch it on TV but couldn’t find it in my channel lineup anywhere.

1 Like

Motortrend+ had coverage in the US.

I bet a lot of amateur endurance racing teams are watching this and thinking “a used NASCAR road course car is going to be durable and less expensive than a modified production car”

1 Like

I watched a good amount of it albeit with Arabic commentary which I understood nothing of :joy: the data on screen was enough though.

Pretty good it was shaping up to be a great finish with only 7 seconds between the Ferrari and Toyota with 2 hours to run. Then the ‘yota stuffed it and had to pit for a new front end putting them almost a lap behind. Ferrari cruised to the line then with Italian Jesus at the wheel.

Didn’t see much of the Chevy I think it finished 39th but I couldn’t tell where they were in class, TV was only showing hyper, LMP 2 and GTE-AM classes, I think the Chevy was GTE-PRO or PRO-AM, not sure.

2 Likes

Looking at the results GTE-Pro doesnt seem to be a category anymore. The Hendrick Chevrolet Camaro is not part of any class, but it finished 39th overall completing 285 laps.

Ferrari’s last pit stop was a bit nerve racking to because the car didnt initial fire back up and had to go thru its start sequence again.

1 Like

The last minute BoP change to hinder Toyota is about as eye-brow raising as you can get. I know BoP ‘might’ be a necessary evil as Le Mans prototype racing was on its last legs (tho BoP, i.e interference for the show, to me is an admission the racing is dead), but no amount of close racing can mask the fact that this was a constructed race. It’s a fugazi.

Even if you’re a big fan of the new LeMans I can’t see how what happened with Toyota should go unquestioned.

1 Like

BoP is the whole reason I can’t follow sportscar racing. It just feels too artificial to me.

2 Likes

It certainly killed off Trans-Am after AUDI cleaned their clocks. Not a fan.

What is BoP? Acronym?

Balance of Performance

The governing body basically regulates the relative performance between the cars. So each car has individual weight limits, as well as other power allowances. It varies between series. Basically it’s about converging different designs to lap at a similar pace. It’s particular successful in series like GT3 which are fundamentally designed for ‘amatuers’ and want plenty of different car makes. In professional competition like Le Mans, it’s a little more controversial. Basically Toyota had a last minute weight penalty (Ferrari got one too but less). If you’re like me it really stains the event knowing that the result is maunfactured.

2 Likes