New CIK/FIA class, OK-N

Bribe him with seat time. I’d say anything for a seat. “Pro racing is a meritocracy!” See?

Everyone says that until they right off someone else’s kart and have to foot the bill. I learnt to say ‘no’ to stuff I really wasn’t passionate about years ago :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’ll put it on the FIA tab Alan, don’t worry :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Unless the FIA are proposing to outlaw single-make competition , there’s no reason why any of the manufacturers would kick up a fuss. Rotax will be more than comfortable with their position in the market place.

The FIA would love to get broader adoption, but unfortunately the stranglehold single-make competition has on the market place is so strong at that level.

If you tell TM to tune one for 18,000rpm, then we can have a conversation. That’d be a video worth making.

And if they did america would find them (FIA) even less relevant to our karting experience. I don’t mean that nastily at all. I just mean that the whole FIA part seems to be about Europe and the rest of the world. Seems like everything here is local/regional promoters doing their own thing, finding their own manufacturing partners.

Almost all sprint karting in America is relies upon the chassis regulatory infrastrasture set out by the FIA. So they are very relevant to the American karting experience, if without enforcable power.

That is indeed true. But the actual races and how they are run seems to be local option. So other than homologation etc?

Yes, true, hence why I said no enforcable power :slight_smile:

Yeah so we take what we like and ignore the rest. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It’s why I love America.

Nope, the opposite. This is a chance for the FIA to get honest and direct feedback from a skeptical reviewer. If they paid him he might even make it honest, direct, and confidential.

Is the carburator for OK-N the 20mm or 24mm class?

Tne FIA are allowing homologation of 24mm Butterfly and 30mm Float, and then letting the ASNs decide which they want to run.

It doesn’t make sense and hints at a lack of decision clarity by the FIA (as does the lack of clarity of who exactly is the target market). Someone at the FIA is clearly hanging on to the idea of copying Rotax, still. I think they mistakenly believe a certain technical specification on a Rotax is reflecive of market demand, but fail to understand market dynamics differ between multi-make and single-make classes, so it’s a fool’s errand looking at Rotax. We knew this back in 2006. KF4 had a float chamber carb, which was the original terrible FIA idea. Why it’s still there I don’t know.

It doesn’t take a genius to realise that having a class with different specs of carbs between countries might not be great when people tend to race in different countries in Europe. The normal market will say “we looked at OK-N but we need this carb for this country and this carb for that country… and then the engine works differently with each carb so we had to find different engines that work with each carbs…it’s a complete nightmare, So we stayed in Rotax”. It’s unbelievably bad decision making by the FIA, it really is.

1 Like

I’d rather the FIA just hire me and I could create something worth doing for karters.

2 Likes

@Simone_Perego Tell me who I need to blame for KF engines please. I raced during the first years of KF (2008/2009/2010) and it wasn’t fun. But thanks for making the tyres free if you were qualified in the final race during EU Championships

1 Like

John and Tanguy – Curious as to what a typical club racing event in the UK and the EU might look like. How many entries, how many classes and what type of classes and age brackets? Is there a results site for club racing?

A few years ago, I was discussing kart racing in Italy, which someone from the Energy factory and he was surprised that there was a Masters class. As I understood from him, there were very few older kart racers in Italy but maybe he just wasn’t in touch with club level racing.

Club racing does exists in France, but it is not really significant. We have 2 organizations handling karting in France, FFSA (French Motorsport Federation) and UFOLEP (local sport organization).

The FFSA handles regional and national level competition.

Regionally :

• Mandatory Free Practices during the Friday
  • Q and heats on Saturday
  • Prefinal and Final on Sunday

Nationally, it depends on the event, but sometimes it starts on Thursday with more free practices.

In France we have 2 fully Spec Series using the same chassis for everyone, one using the Rotax Junior engine, the other using a 100cc engine similar to the KA100. Then we have X30/Rotax/KZ etc etc.

Regionally, the league has a website you can browse in order to get your results. On the national level, everything is on www.kartcom.com

1 Like

https://results.alphatiming.co.uk/ go wild :slight_smile:

Simone - you’ll never find someone more passionate about karting, and he’s British so even a dreadful wage looks good.