New Homologation MG reds tires

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has enough experience on the latest Homologation of the mg red tires to make any comparison over the old tire. Quicker? More durable? Would love to hear your thoughts

1 Like

Anyone have any experience??

No experience, but here is the information from the MG website.

1 Like

All reports from people I know that have used them says yes to faster and longer lasting.

1 Like

Thank you very much for that Matthew!

If they are not too dissimilar to the Evinco Blues, then they are more durable and don’t fall off as fast as they are used. There is another post on this site asking about the new tires, and I have written our experience there.

Mike thanks for that. I’ll get a set soon and give my review.

bumping this back up as I’m looking to run a couple of events in the near future where I’ll need to be on the MG Red and I’ve never run them before.

What’s everyone finding is the sweet spot for pressures and or anything else to be aware of with these new Red’s?

I’ve been going down 1 psi from my old pressures basically and that seems to work fine.

This is the first year running MG tires. On the reds we have found 11-13psi cold work well. They are very durable too.

One more question on these tires…falloff.

I’ve got a set that someone else used for about 50 laps 6 weeks ago. I mounted them today and put another 50 laps on them. Not my favorite tire but seemed consistent.

How bad has this set fallen off of how bad do they fall off in general.

More to that, I have also noticed that these tires do seem to have a shelf life from when they are first heat cycled to about 5-6 weeks. There is a noticeable drop off after that 5-6 week period, The tires still have plenty of rubber, but I feel that the tires have fallen off as I am .5 of a second off of where I usually am.
The mg reds previously had the same issue off running out of heat cycles before the rubber is gone.
My set also has 200 laps on them.

1 Like

Also note, I retract my old pressure recommendation. After further testing and talking to other people/teams/MG reps, it seems the new compound likes higher pressure than the old.

1 Like

Agreed, also they take a good 3-4 laps before they are ready to go.

1 Like

Yep, higher pressure for sure. It was around 75* ambient and roughly 82-84*(estimated) track temp the other day and I was up around the 17-18psi hot on a course asphalt track. I tried 15psi hot and it was just barely coming to life. And even at the higher pressure I didn’t feel any fall off after 12-14 laps. They only started to fall off towards the end of the day once I had around 160 laps or so on them.

1 Like