New Kart track in Northern Ohio?

https://www.ohiokartparts.com/ site says announcement in early November, however the series they run there isn’t a date for LOR. Maybe will here soon :man_shrugging:

From my personal dealings with the management team that is supposedly building that facility, I would not hold my breath.

To add to the drama, it appears the karters are uprising with a series of their own that listens to the racers.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61552617773304

5 Likes

Definitely some interesting elements to this new BKS

1 Like

That track was supposed to open over a year ago so I wouldn’t keep my hopes up for anything within a close timeframe.

I’m also not sold on a new series in Ohio either, but based on the recent decisions and happenings of the established program, I’m not surprised either.

We’ll never break the cycle…karting will always affect the wife :joy:

1 Like

Interesting tidbit with the new series… Carson Smith, the operator of Fremont Raceway Park seems to be driving the new kart series in Ohio. Going to have to look in to that series. Also interesting - his dad, Scott Smith, has been involved with the Buckeye Karting Challenge/Ohio Sprint Series from the beginning. :thinking:

1 Like

My wife’s reaction when our son and I head off to the track… “bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!” :rofl:

1 Like

Let me just put on my investigator hat on

Spring 2023 - City of Lohrain agrees to sell up to 400 acres of land to Xell (Company doing the dev work)
186 of the acres for 1$ per acre

Lohrain passes budget granting Xell $2M for the development project
Xell recieves additional $2M grant from the county

Land transfered to Xell July 21, 2023 Total of 200 acres

Only design I could find

I would say by my guess things are still in the works, but like most projects they are delayed.

1 Like

Eventually there is supposed to be a 2+ mile road course for cars but that was planned to be several years in the future.

Found a newer plan

This is the plan that was approved by the city to go forward with BTW

1 Like

If the city approved, wouldn’t the County and EPA have to approve? I thought the sale was approved knowing that the land has several EPA issues being a dump site more or less.

This looks like the layout I saw at the OVKA swap meet last year.

That’s why I made that. It struck me as “uh oh, new world class driving facility… that’s gonna compete with spousal attention”. All of em in some cases.

I’m looking forward to turning some laps there when it’s done… it could be hard on the budget since it’s about 1 1/2 hrs from my house.:money_with_wings: My wife will enjoy the time by herself. So she says…

1 Like

It’s a BKC replacement that will be close to the OG BKC. It’ll be good. By a racer for racers.

2 Likes

Agreed. I have never once in decades of karting seen division and/or competing series be a positive for anyone involved, primarily the racers. Maybe years down the road, after a lot of scorched earth, something positive emerges for the racers. But not often.

As far as the track goes I have way more interest in seeing that happen than worrying about regional series politics though! :smiley:. This would be huge for the Great Lakes region in terms of another city with a major facility. Too many major pieces of the puzzle have come together for it not to happen hopefully.

I see what appears to be at least 1 over/under on the W side of the track, which is impressive if so. Don’t see that in US tracks.

1 Like

Was an old landfill but I am not aware of needing EPA sign off. there are some wetlands but they are mostly avoiding that portion I believe. There was a group of birdwatchers trying to stop the sale but it doesnt seem to have been successful.

new info - Ohio EPA approved the plans as well with latest testing and permits to move forward issued 8/4/23

Definitely an impressive looking track, will be interesting to drive it.