New Kart track in Northern Ohio?

I saw this floating around one of the 206 social media platforms and thought it might be of interest here if it hasn’t been posted already. This may be old news to some but it’s a pleasant surprise to me if it comes to fruition! @KartingIsLife delete this it’s already been posted or if there’s a better forum topic !

1 Like

That’s a great looking piece of land and thank you US Steel for forgiving the loan to make it possible.

"The facility will start with full-service gas-powered race rental karts open to the public.

The karts will do 55 mph over a half-mile road course, McCrone said.

There will be a 9/10ths mile competition track for events.

Phase two will be a ⅜ mile dirt oval for sprint cars and other races, he said."

So, rental track, legit sprint racing track, dirt oval. This sounds like a race factory. Put an MX course across the river and we are good.

3 Likes

Best part is it would be only an hour and a half from home for me.

Always great to see new Ohio options. I don’t think it’ll be any closer for me than G&J or MCC, but if it’s another good track within reasonable distance it’d be worth checking out.

I keep praying that Mid Ohio will build their own kart track to take after PITT Race, but hasn’t happened.

It seems like they have room to do that, doesn’t it? It would be good to see.

Yes Mid Ohio has the room, I just don’t think they have the desire.

Back on topic the article is from early Dec, and it says there’d be more info available in later Dec city meetings. Does anyone know what came out of those meetings? Is the intent still for this track to be built in 2022 and open 2023?

Here’s what I found so far… It looks promising!

1 Like

Updated a few weeks ago:

2 Likes

Hmm, quoted from the article. Not sure if true.

“There isn’t a place in the world that [has] three go-kart tracks in the same location.”

Yeah, that might be a bit of hyperbole but it seems that a ~0.9 mi FIA track, a 0.5 mile rental track and and indoor track at the same location would be a pretty unique configuration. I talked to Kris McCrone at the OVKA swap meet in Ohio in February, there are some grand plans for the property. I hope they come to pass - I live about an hour from there!

1 Like

There working on it, but it looks like it’s still pretty far away from the May opening claim at the beginning of the year.

https://www.facebook.com/100089721172662/videos/4537565473033985/?extid=CL-UNK-UNK-UNK-IOS_GK0T-GK1C&mibextid=l2pjGR

1 Like

When I talked to Kris in February, (over beers so my memory may not be perfect :beers:) I understood it was going to open a little later in the summer. IIRC, the first event is scheduled to be the Ohio Sprint Series (Buckeye Karting Challenge) Aug 18-20. I could be off a little on that though.

1 Like

That’s great. Can’t wait to see pics.

If they havent moved the first shovel of dirt, being complete with a mile of FIA track by July is a bit of a stretch. Maybe the asphalt but i wouldnt hold our breath

New Motorsports Experience Park in Ohio - Kris McCrone

Latest and greatest information from my friends podcast, ambitious plan of attack on motorsports in Lorain.

1 Like

This popped up on FB today… it seems progress is being made toward the Lorain OH track. https://ekartingnews.com/2023/05/02/lorain-ohio-kartplex-set-for-opening-in-summer-2023/?fbclid=IwAR1TyOvCVMYP7fM23VC7fphCYEgJJHAYlpbVjkBmME8_7VGtY2yCElUyPLc

1 Like

Nice logo:

1 Like

I’m so confused on the name…River Park Motorplex (RPM) or Lorain Ohio Kartplex (LOK) or Ohio Motorsports Park (OMP)…lol so many choices…

Can anyone confirm this is still a thing?

It will affect the wife already there, alas