New Margay or used OTK?

Hi I want to get into LO206 racing for the next season. I have a $3,500-$4,500 budget for the kart. I could get a brand new Margay ignite for about $4,300 or a used 2017 Kosmic Mercury S for $3,700. The Kosmic has upgraded wheels, motor mount, and clutch. Does the Kosmic have more potential for being fast than the Margay? The Kosmic has a thicker axle, better brakes, more adjustments etc. Thanks.

Hey @Connorlyon10, welcome!

The Margay would be just as competitive as the Mercury. Certainly so in your first couple of seasons.

Having said that, I’d go even lower in price for the first kart. Where are you located?

I’m in Salt Lake City Utah. What do you think about a used chassis with a new engine package?

You can find solid used karts for sale in Colorado (a neighboring market and racing series) for less than that. Like this one., or this one…

Either kart is a solid option. Tonykart may be easier to get service for in your region, and a few more people at the track run it compared to the Margay, but both can be fast…

While I’m not super super local to Utah, we have a pretty active karting community here in Colorado. Come reach out to us sometime!

That Praga is sexy. :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

There is a nice 2018 used kart package on kart206.com
https://kart206.com/shop?olsPage=products%2F2018-crg-tork-complete-206-kart

Also closer to the top of your budget you could get a new 4 cycle OTK package but that would be closer to 5k

I think Colorado is a little too far because I don’t really want to deal with the hassle and costs of shipping. Do more karts usually go for sale around the end of the racing season? Also, how many years old should I stay under when looking for a kart? There’s a 2013 tony kart available for sale in my area is that too old? Thanks.

MSquared Karting is a very reputable shop so anything you buy from them should be in good condition. I’d say don’t worry as much about model year, but rather the condition of it. A lightly used 2013 is going to be in better shape than a 2017 that was used hard for a season and a half. So, don’t let the age of a kart be a turn off. Heck, I race a 1994 chassis that I bought for $500 (complete package) which is perfectly fine for the level of racing that I do.

Regarding your original post about whether to buy a brand new Margay Ignite or the Kosmic or Tony from MSquared, the main thing will be the features that come with it. You’ll always pay a slight premium for the OTK name, but you also get some added features with OTK. I may be wrong, but the Ignite is more of a entry level chassis with less doo-dads. If you look at pictures of it on the Margay site and compare that to the Kosmic, things are just simpler on the Margay and a bit older technology. However, in a low horsepower application like the 206, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Comparing the three:

• The Margay Ignite has 17mm spindles whereas that Kosmic should have 25mm (which I’ve never raced so somebody with experience would need to chime in on the benefit of that) which is the “latest and greatest.” I can’t tell what the Tony EVK has.

• The Margay has spindle mount front wheels, Kosmic and Tony have hub mounted.

• The Margay and Tony come with DWT Alumilite, a spun aluminum wheel, which is good for low HP karts. The Kosmic comes with MXJ wheels, which are magnesium. Generally the way to go, but can be too stiff for 206.Also, it’s hard to tell, but in that picture of the Kosmic, those might be 7 inch rear tires, which is generally not what you want to run for the 206 (and often not legal). That’s something you’d have to follow up with MSquared on.

And there is more to compare but I’m starting to doze off (typing this while my newborn son sleeps on my chest). Anyways, it comes down to your desires and plans. If you like having brand new things and are committed to a few seasons with the 206, I’d say pay the little bit more for the Margay. But if you think within a year you’ll be wanting to move up to a higher HP kart, then get the Kosmic as it has the features you generally want for that.

Have you had any racing experience before? I only ask because if this is your first kart I wouldn’t worry too much about what kart you have, especially for 206, in terms of which will be faster or at least easier to tune. You’ve got a good budget for what you are looking for.

Regarding Margay vs. OTK, Margay is very popular in 4 stroke racing, but I dont know if theres any dealers for them in Utah. OTK, however, is supported by MSquared Karting. That leads me to believe that the Kosmic may be the way to go because of the parts and support.

The 2013 you mentioned should be fine for 206. I ran a 2012 OTK last year and it worked okay, but I wasn’t running 206. For a 206, you’ll be fine.

You can definitely do a used frame and a new motor. If you can find a used 206 though, it’d be even cheaper and not much different than getting one brand new.

MSquared sells the Ignite so either way, he’ll be covered by them.

1 Like

I’ve done rental karts and I’ve done pretty well but I’ve never owned my own kart. I want something that has lots of adjustments because I think tuning adds to the fun of racing even though it’s my first year. So I’m kind of leaning toward tony kart just because it has more adjustability.

Also, if I go with a used kart, what should I look for and check on the chassis and engine? What kind of things usually get worn that I might need to replace?

Ok let’s clear up some of the misinformation here.

This is completely false. The Ignite is a spec kart made for spec racing in an Ignite only class, Margay’s Ignite Challenge Series, or 1 off races at Rock Island, Indy, Quincy, and Daytona. That said, the Ignite chassis has proven to be competitive in regular 206 classes also. It’s a lower price point compared to other karts because it lacks billet, magnesium, and anodized components. It has nothing to do with “simple or older technology.”

Spindle size, axle size, hub vs spindle mount wheels, and wheel material/size are all driver preference. They are tuning tools and can be changed on any kart.

Does the Utah Kart Championship plan to promote an Ignite class? The main benefit of the Ignite is racing in a spec class, all of which are midwest based except Daytona.

2 Likes

How is this completely false? I know the Ignite is a spec kart and I’m not knocking it. The Ignite class provides great racing and can certainly be competitive in 206. But how have I given misinformation? 17mm spindles are older tech relative to 25mm spindles. Direct Spindle Mount wheels are older tech relative to hub mounted. The Ignite has a no-nonsense basic steering wheel and the Kosmic has OTK’s fancy dancy wheel (which, is there really any benefit to the OTK design?). The Kosmic has the fancy M6 bodywork and the Ignite has the slightly less aero FP7. And compare the brake hub, rotor, and related bearing cassette.

As far as I know, there is no dedicated Ignite class at UKC, but they do have a pretty decent 206 field.

More shiny does not equal more advanced. The only thing “better” on the OTK is the brakes and the MCP’s on the Margay are perfect for 206 racing. Those BSS brakes are for stopping a 2 cycle going much faster.

Give me 17mm or 5/8" spindles anyday over 25mm for a 206. 25mm is too stiff for me.

Regarding which to get, get the one you can easily get replacement parts for and support.

You can get either one rolling fast with time.

Did anybody actually read what I wrote? Apparently not.

Totally missed your first reply. That’s my bad.

The point is, characterizing different components and karts as “simple” and “old tech” is hugely misleading. Especially so when giving advice to someone just looking to get started…

2 Likes