New Member Welcome! March 24 - March 31, 2020

Big welcome to our new members this week: March 24th - March 31st!

@TrevorBrown0568
@Schmevn
@Evrim_Tokdemir
@paulhaymen
@FERHER
@PacNW3
@fernandro
@Nessuno
@m-a-x
@MrMikeHenry
@jjchat
@martin_barker
@forty
@Donedeal
@Weldon_jack98
@Grady

Thank you so much for joining the Kartpulse community.
Introduce yourself below! Tell us a little about how you’re involved with karting.

Thank you for the introduction!! It is great to be part of this forum I have found it very useful and has helped me very much so far!

Welcome! Where are you from? What kind of karting do you do or are interested in?

1 Like

Central Texas. I have only done rental leagues before and I am looking to get my first kart. Really looking forward to a shifter ( i know what you might say, don’t do it. Get something below first) but I really love the speed and the gears. What would you recommend? The most popular and demanding class at my track is the lo206 but I really don’t feel like driving a 4 stroke!

Hehe. I’m gonna be a bore and recommend you do a season of lo206 or 100cc 2-stroke.

I started on x30 (125cc 2-stroke). In retrospect, I would likely have learned the stuff I needed to learn quicker and better in a lower horsepower class.

Kinda hard to articulate but karting well involves being efficient and precise. Big horsepower complicates this. It makes driving a bit different and, when you are new, you are likely to be overdriving the heck out of the kart. In time you’ll figure it out and scale it back.

When you hop in a 4-stroke, it’s all about trying to squeeze every last rpm out of the engine and keeping momentum rolling. That is hard to do well. But since you aren’t overwhelmed by more grip and power than you are ready for, you start learning quickly. What you learn in slower karts directly transfers to faster karts, so it is not time wasted. Just the opposite!

That being said, if you can afford 100cc two stroke, that’s a great place to start too. It’s 2-stroke. It’s awesome to have grunt.

Are you in barking distance of NTK or DKC?

Thanks for the intel I am in total agreement. Do you think it would take me a one whole season or maybe even 2 seasons to get the hang of the shifter?

I am actually a little more south of Central Texas. I have Hill Country Kart Club at 30 min drive and the kart track at Circuit of Americas at a 50 min drive. DKC is 5 hour drive. I’ll be hitting these two tracks every time. Maybe hitting something at dallas once I get the chance.

Where are you from?

I don’t know Texas well but have had the good fortune to be in Dallas and got to visit DKC, which was really great. Love the track and Mike and Jake were really helpful. I’m familiar with NTK, virtually speaking. It’s one of my favorite sim tracks.

I’m from central NJ and we have a couple good outdoor tracks as well as the usual indoor stuff. NJMP being the coolest track imo. It’s a big track where you get some nice speed.

I don’t know how long it will take with shifter because outside of sim, I’ve never driven one. Looking back on my driving, I’d say it took me about 2 years to get to the point where I was more driver than passenger. I doubt that learning to bang gears will take long to adjust to. I was able to do it in sim pretty quickly.

Great time conversing with you Don, thank you for all the tips and recommendations I sure will update you as soon as I get my first kart! Stay safe and shred those corners!

1 Like

You are welcome. Good luck and let us know how it goes.