Old School 100cc Megatopic

I have some K11B’s gathering dust in my garage, wanting to take them out, but my local track put in a ‘clutched karts only’ rule. I recall reading somewhere that you could put a JICA crank half in which would accommodate a clutch, but I’ve never seen any of those available anywhere. Then I thought, could I just switch crankshaft with another 100cc engine altogether? eg. out of a KA100? Or are there differences between engines in terms of crankshaft dimensions?

Don’t desecrate two K11bs man, please.

Where are you based?
KA100 stroke is different so using the crank is probably not worth it.

Inboard clutch driven from the ignition side is probably your best bet. This is how they do it in road racing laydowns. Problem is that the setup can almost cost as much as the engine at times.

Hello,

This is my new acquisition

I would appreciate if you guys shared any tips about this engine, specially related to carburation

I will race it just for fun. I dont expect max performance

I prefer to last longer

Also, after how much time I need to service the engine ?

Thank you

1 Like

Need to share that link

4 Likes

Nice engine! Can you confirm the carburetor on the engine? I looks like a Tryton possibly.

The piston port engines like this (Vortex VA98 I think is what you have) tend to last a little longer as they are not as rev happy as the reeds/rotaries. If you keep peak RPM under 16,500 or so you should see good life on he engine assuming that you are starting from all fresh parts inside.

1 Like

Glorious noises! :+1::checkered_flag::+1::checkered_flag:

I’m a shifter guy. Can’t help it. But these 100cc engines are nothing short than amazing. Pistons are pretty much a consumable like fuel or spray lube but…you just can’t have enough of that sound. I was lucky to see formula A races in person, they were just unreal.

1 Like

Pure racing! Just everything built to go fast.

Best description of it :laughing:

…… and send all the FR125 to mars :joy:

1 Like

So much fun to drive, we no longer have a 100cc class to run in so have to run them in open with shifters etc but that also means sticky tyres and no lead

1 Like

That’s one lush kart. Had to make a small fix though :wink:

Glenn Davidson (kart stickers f100) does a great job, I’m lucky to have a mate that has a rather large collection of 90s karts and get to drive most of them.
Have a water-cooled reedjet on the way so looking forward to see what that can do

OK I’ve been staring for a solid two mins and cant tell the difference in the karts…

dear oh dear James. :slight_smile:

(look at the rear)

I was looking at the stickers etc…

Ha, I was doing the same thing. Clearly a case of sticker bias for us both. :rofl:

I think some track should try a KA-Pro class.

KA100 engine, 91 AKI/95 RON fuel (so you have to be careful with the needles as IAME recommends 93/98), super soft tires (MG Green or equivalent), 320 lb/155 kg minimum weight.

1 Like