Open/mix 100cc class does it work

@Alan_Dove
I would be very angry if Iame brought out a major change to the KA, other than the refinements to the carburettor (Australia) that have been made already.
The engine was designed specifically for the Australian market and to our requirements, they would not have even built it otherwise. In my opinion it was only happy coincidence that it has been as widely accepted as it has and the package can only benefit from zero changes in the future.

The regulating bodies of karting should be strong enough to enforce the wishes of their competitors, I would be straight on the phone with Karting Australia if any major changes to the platform were to be considered. (probably nothing would change but i would feel better).

I am totally for 1 make classes, but if the Vortex and the KA can race together without having stupid, and hard to understand restrictions we should encourage people to do it, Karting is all about bums in seats after all.

I havenā€™t seen one single-make product that hasnā€™t had continual ā€˜updatesā€™ whether they be obvious or more hidden (i.e improved machining rigs). Planned obsolescence is essential for a viable business model unless you expect continual and strong growth (which is unlikely).

Also in this context, for the trajectory of the club itā€™s probably better, in my view, to throw weight behind one product line.

1 Like

Head volume for sure, inexpensive and effective.

Fair points, but I think the tactic isnā€™t so much to get them hooked on Rok events and buy a VLR. From my understanding, the move is more-so to get them hooked on Rok events and buy a Rok GP / Shifter.

If they stay with that narrative, and Garett Potter is a smart guy when it comes to stuff like this, then even if IAME made a change, thereā€™s nothing stopping Rok from making an equal change to instantly equalize the power. They know that IAME has the majority market share, and the minute a VLR canā€™t be included in a KA club race, theyā€™ll take a hit.

The reason I think itā€™ll stay like this mentality for a bit is because both engines go far longer between rebuilds than their 125 ā€“ and in IAMEā€™s case ā€“ 175 counterparts. If and when the 100cc market were to surpass the 125s in part sales, then you might see a shift. But I donā€™t see that happening on the national level in the US anytime soon.

and thus you have an undeclared war.

I mean, yes, but the mentality is different. Rok isnā€™t trying to outpower the IAME. Itā€™s trying to equal it so it can get into the IAME market tracks. Instead of the TaG issue of manufacturers trying to be faster than others to sell more engines, this is purposely trying to stay equal, and be better on the pocket books rather than the dynos. Maybe itā€™ll devolve to the TaG crapshoot, maybe not.

It was announced at the last round of the Texas Sprint Racing Series that weā€™ve ran in, they will be going to non-specific engine classes since they run under IKF rules. This means there will be an open 100cc class comprising of the KA100 and VLR. The cadet classes will also be combine Rotax, IAME and Rok motors. It will be interesting next year to see what shows up and runs.