OTK MXC vs new MXQ - What is the verdict

When OTK introduced the MXL, the consensus was they missed the mark, and everyone felt the MXC was still better. Then they brought out the MXQ…which was supposed to be what they meant to achieve with the MXL.

So what is the verdict on the MXQ? Is the MXC still the best when heat build up is a concern (large races with gripped up tracks and warm to hot conditions), or is the reduced volume of the MXQ an advantage.

1 Like

Time to bump this thread. I am very in between MXL and MXC anyone have any input?

Purely empirical, but I haven’t seen everyone running MXL or MXQ at national events nationwide in numbers rivaling the MXC.

If it’s not broken don’t fix it I guess?

While I would agree with what Eric mentions above, I will also add two observations based on what I’ve seen from large teams at large events:

1. I have seen a higher instance of MXL/MXQ (vs. not) when track conditions are grippier and/or hotter.

2. I have also seen instances of MXL/MXQ usage in conditions that defy conventional logic.

I use MXL and MXQ interchangeably in this example as it’s purely based on what I see as a third-party observer.

Also, important to point out that even within the same large teams, there is not necessarily a pattern of “x” conditions = “y” wheels are mandatory. Wheels make a difference, no doubt, but it’s a nuanced change that can quickly be invalidated if you’re missing in other key areas of your setup. Variation combinations of driver preference and driving style can also lead to one wheel being the ticket for Driver A, while another wheel may work equally well for Driver B.

Happy to report that we’re back to the 'ole default kart tuning advice response of “it depends”. :sob: :sob: :sob:

2 Likes

I never liked the MXL. I felt like the tires never came in every time I drove them. They work best for super grippy conditions in my experience.

For our tires and and our conditions I find the MXC to be more than adequate 90% of the time. For a really heavy class, super soft tires, or high power, the Ls might be a better choice.

Sorry I meant to say MXQ vs MXC… lol since the MXL was well known to be a very limited window tire as mentioned.

What would you think about MXL’s for CKNA? Low-HP but super sticky tires, I know a lot of people were struggling to keep the karts free at the Grands this year.

Yeah ive always wondered what the best tire for ckna is with that weird combo of low hp with high grip tire

I always figured something low grip: OTK MXC, AMV 9F, maybe the MXL, Douglas SE, something along those lines. I know CRG has a really good low-grip wheel as well that I wasn’t using for Grands. I’m not sure what the Coyote boys were running but it changes when you have a chassis designed specifically for CKNA.

Freeline DMs worked pretty well.

1 Like

At least someone uses them :joy:

1 Like

They’re apparently almost a must have for the Vegas. It’s the wheel that won Masters.

1 Like

in my experience, DFs have a fair bit of grip. I found them to be like AMV Tigers. @Muskabeatz what do you think?

Agreed in terms of the DF vs. Tiger, with Tiger seeming to manage temps better over the long run.

I’ve never used the DM wheel, and the handful of times I’ve worked around PSL I’ve NEVER seen anyone run the DM. They just say in the trailer collecting dust.

1 Like

Anyone got a chart/comparison for freeline wheels? DM? DF? DQ? Is there more?

I believe this is what you’re looking for:

6 Likes

This is the best response I have ever seen on Kartpulse. Well done, sir.

1 Like

Is there a DNF model as well? Could be a convenient wheel for the Burpo/Hastings debacle.