Oxygenated Fuel in 206?

So I know a guy who is stupid fast on track that runs oxygenated fuel during our locals. Anyone else doing this and if so, what is the benefit? More Power, cleaner burning?

The carburetor is jetted for e10 gasoline, so it’ll usually be rich on ethanol-free. You’ll make more power with oxygenated fuel even when jetted correctly, by the “chemical supercharging” effect.

CKNA’s spec fuel is 87 octane e10 gas from a station near the track. They buy some fuel there during the race weekend and compare it to competitors’ samples.

I think most of club or series run spec gas. We run 91 non oxygenated , non ethanol gas.

Burns significantly “cleaner” with the same jetting measuring with OEM level emissions measuring equipment. Doubt you could smell a difference with E10. More power depends on how oxygenated the fuel is. More oxygen content is better for power in the same way nitrous oxide (plus fuel) is better for power.

I mean, almost everyone is going to use a fuel tester to cut down on many of the power adders. There are blends that wont get detected by a meter but a quick water test will expose them.

especially if their power adder costs three bucks a gallon!

Put 10cc of oxygenated gasoline and 10cc of water in a 25cc graduated cylinder, stopper it, flip it a couple of times, and you’ll find the meniscus well above the 10cc mark.

I have no idea what you just said, rofl.

What would be the end of the day procedure when running oxygenated fuel?

Take the feed line off the carburetor, run it to your gas can, start the engine, idle it until it stalls out to run all of the fuel out of the float bowl, then finish siphoning the fuel into your gas can, then pour your gas can into your generator or car tank.

1 Like

So you wouldn’t leave fuel in the tank?

Is using fuel treatments to preserve oxygenated fuel recommended?

If you don’t have a passenger car’s evaporative emissions control system or a sealed steel tank, street fuel will go bad as fast as the butane evaporates. Fuel treatments will make no difference, you’re physically losing chemicals that are key components of the fuel.

New fuel every day, old fuel goes in your car and is burned.

2 Likes

Also, if you think someone’s cheating, there are three things to keep in mind:

1. He probably isn’t. Fast drivers are FAST. I tear through the field from the back in X30, then Billy Musgrave jumps into my kart to try it out and takes almost a second out of my laptime.
  2. E10 versus E0 is worth about a 1% power difference in the chemical supercharging and >1% in getting the fuel mixture closer to right, and those two combine to be bigger than the difference from a just-set-the-valve-lash engine from Briggs and a full national build in 206.
  3. It would be really easy to pay a high school chemistry teacher to measure everyone’s fuel density and water-test it for alcohol, and cheating would be found immediately - and if someone’s using more than 10% ethanol their mainjet will probably also fail a go/no-go gauge test for being oversize.