Performance differences TM KZ K9, K10, R1, R2

Does anybody know what improvements has been made to the different engine models throughout time?
Is the new KZ engines from TM remarkably quicker, compared to the older models?

1 Like

It’s hard to say because it really depends on the state of tune too.

I had a K9A that was supposedly a “factory” motor with a special crank. At the time it was faster than the KZ10’s the other guys had. It was definitely fast.

1 Like

From my experience as I’ve tried k9b, kz10b and now owns a kz10c. The 10C has a lot of top end, it wants to rev but still very manageable in the mid rpms.

The k9b was very all or nothing, you had to keep it in the high rpms. And the 10b was a pretty complete package overall.

The R1 is super everywhere pretty much, easy to setup. But compared to the 10c at the higher rpms the 10c is better. But if I had the money I would buy an R1😆

But with all that said, in my last race I had no problems at all to fight for a podium in a field with only R1s and Iame screamer 3

1 Like

1 somewhat minor but significant mechanical change from the 9 to 10 series was the crank bearing grew from 20mm to 22mm.

1 Like

They have all nearly the same Power when they are good tuned engines.
Only difference is that since the k9c the combustion chamber was limited to have minimum 13cc and a maximum compression ratio of about 1:10,5 but since the R1 they made it open and now you can have
compression ratio up to 1:15 but you need to run 102 Oktan and only 1mm ignition.
And the Pipes are different means some engines have more torque and some have more top end power but max power is nearly the same the new R1 Pipe is close to the K9C pipe to achive more tourqe. The KZ10b has the best pipe for high RPM but the pipe has a very smal powerband my KZ10b only have power from 11-15500 the K9C power from 8000-14500.

I also Tried the K9C Pipe on my KZ10b and the powerband started 2000rpm earlier but the pipe limited the max RPM at 15000rpm

1 Like

The minimum head volume rule for KZ has been eliminated?

The CIK regulations still state that there is an 11cc minimum for KZ, so no change. Rule 9.10.1

2 Likes

In KZ1 you can drive without any limits. KZ2 is limited. so you and i are right

2 Likes

Where are you located Ivo?

That’s correct, when we refer to “KZ” in USA, we refer to KZ2 rules, as those are the ones that get referenced by US organizations, we don’t have a KZ1 set of rules over here

KZ is synonymous with KZ2 in Europe I would say too. KZ1 is not very common.

1 Like

In Czech, Germany, Netherland and Italy we have the KZ1 class.

But yes its Rare in the most Countrys now.
In Czech they have less KZ2 races than KZ1. I drive there in Cheb its a realy good Track Topspeed 150-160KMH when there is much rubber on the Track

2 Likes

Jimmy Fallon Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

1 Like

I think I speak for all of us when I say “let’s see some video”

I’d definitely like to see more KZ1.