PFI closing complex - KartKraft

Definitely green in real life. You can use red to overtake with a block pass though. Red would typically spit you into the tire wall on the outside.

I tried your no braking. It’s true, tire scrub alone can slow you down enough.

Have you tried following the white line on the inside all the way around rather then drifting away from the white line before making a tight right at the end?

Following the white line is what I used to do, it would keep the inside wheel up as you balanced speed and grip with a tightening apex. Doing what you currently are doing makes the wheel drop down and have to left up again.

Nik, are you referring to the inside border candystripe of the turn onto the finish straight? If so, I am riding up onto the kerbing at that point, more or less where the box I drew is. From there it’s a quick throttle dip, turn in, go 100%.

I’m not sure I understand. The dive down towards the place where the kerb is straddled is usually set up with a slight throttle reduction at top, rotate, full on gas, ride up on left side kerb, partial lift, rotate, go.

I’m not feeling any bind or bogging from wheel drop there. Maybe I am looking at wrong spot.

Perhaps you mean the right right at the bottom of the map, the very round bit where you suggested using wheel scrub? Which white line are you referring to?

Never mind, I get what you are saying. Yes. I will try that. Just did a version of it and picked up another 2/10.

This section, and I don’t know if KartKraft has the white line, sorry don’t play. The white line should be about 6 inches (on the tarmac side) away from the kerb.

Sorry for the poor explanation.

I figured out what you meant eventually!

So feedback: Yes! In both.

To your point, no brakes necessary but is an option if you want to accelerate super deep and live dangerously.

If I understood you correctly, you were suggesting holding the last third of the inside canystripe, rather than pushing wide and looping back up.

The hold the inside edge approach leads to a rounder one piece throttle exit. It is effective. I haven’t truly spent time trying to hotlap using this but in my initial attempts, I did drop 2/10 down to 57.6.

Yes, holding the last third of the inside candy stripe, rather than pushing wide and looping back up.

It might be a tire/weight thing, we were running soft dunlops and 308lb weight. It was physically hard to hold the kart there and two wheeling was common if you didn’t have the kart setup right. With these sorts of corners the trick is to wait until you put the power down, so you’re pushing hard into the corner and tightening the apex so that you carry as much speed as possible and delay the throttle application until you are pointing straight. You can tickle the throttle earlier but planting it too early would lead to big bounce.

We (in my opinion, amusingly) have a very similar complex at Gregg Moore Raceway (my local track).

I do the same thing there and it works very well.

Found a video of one of the birel works drivers taking my line through there.

Yep. That’s the one. You typically start adding in throttle at the end there and have to do the double lift to point kart at end. In this example he has a mini lift at top to make the left. It is possible to do it in one throttle but I’m not sure if it’s any faster.

Lap 2 he does it one piece.

Thabks for that. Really interesting to see how he did the rest as well. I was happy to see that he does 2 (uphill from under bridge) the same way I have been doing it. I wondered about this as the AI insist on the wrong line.

Thanks. It is interesting how putting up cones on the bridge, restricting how much to the left you can set up, changes that exit.

Dom, I have a different question. What’s it like to drive with VR? Does it actually feel like you are ‘in’ the game? Second: I get tired and squared eyes focussing on a regular screen so close to my face. How do your eyes feel after a lenghty session in VR? Thanks!

Yes. I can’t go back to screens. The immersion of VR is a game changer. I can go basically forever now. At first I needed breaks every 15 mins or so.
I didn’t get seasick but if you do, I understand you can train your brain by working into it 5-10 minutes at a time until brain gets used to it.

From a realism standpoint, it’s fantastic. You have depth perception. It’s kinda like the real thing only with wierd visuals.

Another thing: like all middle aged guys my eyes have decided to no longer focus close on anything. You’d think vr wouldn’t work but I don’t need glasses for it, strangely. In any case, they have thought of that problem as well and there are diopter etc.

Great time to get into VR. New fancier better units coming out. If you see a good headset used for a couple hundred, give it a shot. For the record I have previous gen cpu/gpu i7 6700 and gtx 480. It works great medium settings. Try steam VR test to check your pc.

As far as realism goes, it is very realistic. You quickly adjust to the virtual world and you promptly forget its virtual. Crashes etc are pretty scary at first.

Last night I was amusing myself seeing how much bumper riding I could get away with without spinning. I was also trying super close passes.
That’s not something you can try on track IRL. It’s really amazingly cool.

Final edit, I promise… keep an eye on the used venues. Here’s an example of great deal if true… people buy great stuff and get bored.

Thanks Dom, that sounds hopeful! I asked a similar question on Racefans (a European-based racesite) and I got the following reply:

“VR offers great immersion, but if you just want to compete, its way more convenient to use an ordinary screen setup.
And its quite obvious that Max (Verstappen) is rather looking for competition instead of immersion. I mean he does not even use a right FOV.

They generally recommend giving your eyes a regular rest when using VR, so it can’t be better on the eyes. And the heavy headset isn’t fun to wear either. Thirdly if you have to press any buttons on your steering wheel you’d have to do it blind. I tried watching a show in the virtual theatre on my Gear VR once, but just reaching for a drink became cumbersome.”

https://www.racefans.net/2019/05/07/verstappen-simracing-experience-is-useful-for-f1/

Any experience with this?

So I can’t speak for everyone but what I have seen from discussions is that you fall into two camps: VR vs Triples.

Triples allow you to have really nice graphics and peripheral vision.

VR is sorta crappy graphically in comparison but you have true 3D vision.

Generally folks who like VR love VR and don’t go back. Some people find it nauseating and give up (too) quickly.

I think mr Verstappen states in that interview that he uses sim mainly to test setups so perhaps he doesn’t really care about FOV and stuff. That being said, he just set a record time in f3 car in iracing so I guess he also likes messing around.

Truth be told, if you intend on being an alien, those guys are known to play without FFB and the like. I don’t think they are going for immersion at all. One described it as something like in the absence of G forces (seat of pants), the important input is sound.

You are just gonna have to try it, I think.

Bear in mind that two things are being addressed in new headsets: wider fov and higher refresh rates (bye bye seasickness).

Edit: added a poll from simracing Facebook. Comment section worth reading for views. https://www.facebook.com/groups/SimRacingPublic/permalink/1348028615334887/

1. I do not experience eye strain from VR. And I wear readers and light “comfort” glasses.

2. Headset isn’t particularly comfy or otherwise. I don’t really think about it. This isn’t an issue for me.

3. You map your buttons to your wheel. Your brain has no problem pressing buttons blind once you get used to it. Obviously don’t put stuff where you might forget and accidentally knock it off table. So far I have sent my vape flying a few times. Yes drinking and VR don’t mix well unless you aren’t wearing headphones or are using a straw.

Final thing: money

Triples require 3x fast refresh screens and a stand. You also need something to push all of those pixels. My understanding is that there are no cards that can currently max out (big) triples on higher refresh rates. So I think you are looking at the top end cards to run high settings. So figure approx 1k for vid card. To do this “right” is pricey.

Vr is either a super card to max everything or a medium card on a budget. Used VR headsets can be had for 200 easy these days. Look at the Samsung odyssey plus as a higher res cheaper product from previous gen. The new units look incredible, though.

Thanks Dom, really good insights

Side note: I’ve found that drinking :beer: while using VR reduces my nausea, which seems backwards.

1 Like