Portable hone for 100cc engines

I’ve been looking everywhere for different options for a portable hones for the 100cc engines (KA100 & VLR). I heard about the Sunnen JN-95 but the range is 2"-2.6" (50,8-66 mm) and the engine bores of the 100’s are 48.2mm. So what portable hone are people using? If any

1 Like

Ammco 3950 is what I went with and it’s worked well for me.

2 Likes

I use a lisle 16000 Hone.
It was cheap and although it needs to set up carefully to make sure the stones are parallel, it works well. I couldn’t justify the price of a Sunnen with the number of engines I rebuild.

2 Likes

I have a sunnen sn75 hone and I use S18-J55 stones for Ka100 and then I change my stones to T20-J 55 for X30.
The Sunnen S18 range of stones will do 44mm to 50.8 mm and the T20 range will do 50.8 to 56mm.
These sizes are what Sunnen recommended for the SN 75 hones but you maybe able to creep either side those measurements if needed.
I’m not sure if the JN95 can go below 50mm as I don’t have one but I do have one SN 75 hone with S18 stones in it for KA 100 and another SN75 with T20 stones for X30 and they both do a great job.
The J55 is a 220 grit stone J65 is a 280 grit, these are the main two I use but there is more range of grits than that.
Look up Sunnen website for the full range.
Hope this helps you.

2 Likes

IMOP the Sunnen JN95 would be better than the SN75 as they will definitely go down to 45mm so they are a good hone for KA100 and Vortex VLR 100 and they will also do X30 as well.
They would be better option than the SN 75 hone as they can go small enough for 48.20 bores and they also can do the X30 54.00 bore without the stones being expanded to far out of the hone to cause them to chatter on the 54mm bores

2 Likes

I have an almost new Sunnen SNJ-10 (up to 45mm) that I dont use and would sell, if anyone needs one.
Not for 100cc obviously, Mini/Micro

1 Like

I saw one here. I have not used it but it looks like they have what you’re looking for…

Rob these ball type hones are only good for a quick fix up at the track as the ball type hone won’t keep your cylinders straight & parallel and they will also round out the port entrance’s as well which is not good for performance.
You won’t find any good engine builder that would use one of these type of hones, best to stick to a parallel type hone.

I’ve been told ball hones can damage the ports in a 2 stroke. However the wiseco flex hones like below will not, but are really only good for quicky jobs or for giving a nice crosshatch after a proper hone.

Correct, please do not use the ball type in a 2T or you’ll likely regret it. If you don’t have a professional standalone hone, in a pinch you can use the centrifugal-stone type like the Lysle 23500 or the one posted above 16000. Understand it’s just a compromise to keep you going if no other option is available, with limited damage.
Tuners used to have a proper hone in their trailer, that’s usually the best bet