PZ22 cleaning and maintenance

So I’ve sadly stowed away my kart in pieces for the winter and want to start doing some of the maintenance on the engine. I’m relatively new and I wanted to get a handle on how to clean up my carb for next year. A lot of the internet says to let it soak in a bucket of parts cleaner but it all seems like it’s geared towards quads, bikes, and snowmobiles.

Thanks!

Dip basket is probably not a great idea.

I would clean it out with carb cleaner, let dry, then lube it with something like WD40.

Open it up, Note float height, look for green. (if it’s green LMK)
remove jets, inspect, clean passages with carb cleaner, let dry, reassemble, lube (or not)

I would not go poking sharp objects in it. Theme being don’t do any damage.

Put some effort into cleaning out your fuel system, filtering fuel and draining fuel/flushing carb and you’ll probably never have problems.

1 Like

Hey Mike I know this was a while ago. Pulled out the carb and noticed some green from dried fuel in the carb… theres also a fine white powder along with the green. this will be a full clean out with carb cleaner and involve removing the jets? Thanks!

Personally I’d strip it down including removing the jets. I’ve had good success submerging carbs in B12 carb cleaner, even better when combined an ultrasonic parts washer.

Just be aware that you don’t really want to leave the parts soaking for much more than 20mins.

2 Likes

I found this to be the best thing going.
https://www.ebay.com/p/28017011491?iid=264609056199&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=264609056199&targetid=886140166958&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9025143&poi=&campaignid=9426387570&mkgroupid=98549529271&rlsatarget=pla-886140166958&abcId=1140476&merchantid=6581694&gclid=CjwKCAjwkPX0BRBKEiwA7THxiMHSP4XxHUfCp5_Ae5I8HSFJK-cXm-6t_F8FivrZbfp5y4XbKpgfVhoCLtEQAvD_BwE

I would remove the jets.That way the solvent works from both ends and you can see through the tiny holes. Emulsion tube has some tiny hole on the sides as well as through the center. Put the jets in the carb bowl and soak in bowl so it cleans the bowl. Also spray the carb.

I’ve never seen anything work as well as he Mercury product. Greg Lacoste is who turned me on to it.

1 Like

Planning on refreshing my PZ22 carb before the next race. The seemingly best youtube tutorial (Kart Set Up - L0206 Carb Clean - YouTube) mentioned soaking all the parts for a day in mineral spirits if its been a long time since last cleaning. Is that a bad idea? Also, any links to a better tutorial are appreciated.