Q&A Kartpulse Podcast Thread with Terence Dove

How do you approach a coaching session with someone? Do you schedule out the day or go with the flow? I know every session is tailored for each individual, but what kind of mindset do you have approaching each day you coach?

2 Likes

Hi Terence,

Had to ask, what made you finally decide to write and publish your first book? Was it always part of your plan? Or was it something you recently felt like doing?

2 Likes

Did any of these forum questions get covered?

1 Like

Hey there Mike,

• Michael’s question was covered in Episode 20
  • Monroe’s question was covered in Episode 21.

A good number of them are coming in a bonus episode Part 3 for next week. What we wanted do was making the first two hours conversational and announce the contest winners, (who were pulled at random out of at hat) before going through the list of forum questions. We couldn’t cover all of them, but that’s with the time that we had. :slight_smile:

@mikerap -Episode 22 is live!

Thanks for showing interest and stay tuned. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One of my favorites so far, I bought the book after the first episode and very glad I did, I really like Dove’s approach to coaching. I know podcasts can be a pain but I would love to hear a discussion with Memo Gidley
Keep it up Davin, I look forward to everyone!

3 Likes

I think the class of karting I most enjoyed watching was the last generation of Formula A, revving at 22,000rpm…or maybe Formula Super A.

I don’t know what the best chassis is, because there is a wide range of applications for chassis - but I very rarely hear people complain that OTK karts handle badly

Maybe I answered this one indirectly in the podcast, or I may have forgotten -but anyway I think that the new style karts demand a smoother driving style, or a more ‘on rails’ approach. To me this means avoiding sliding as much as possible, probably because newer generation karts are heavier, and maybe the tyre construction changed.

In the 90’s there were drivers who would drive in a very smooth and careful way at the front, and also drivers who were pretty wild, who would put the kart at all kind of angles intentionally and still win.

Today,everyone is very smooth

1 Like

I’m having to think this one through because drivers have so many challenges particular to their own circumstances. I think the one most see as impossible to overcome is getting the money together to fund it all!!

But in terms of actual driving, I’d say maintaining the mental focus to sustain the ability to perform at peak level all day, without making any errors. So much prep goes into achieving that ability, so I’d say that is the toughest challenge.

Yes, I think so - The extreme case is when the track is wet, then you go very deep into hairpin bends and take a cut back-line. That is in order to straighten the exit line as much as you can

I’m no good on set ups at all buddy, maybe someone else can help here…

I would say think about your braking in the opposite way to braking in a road car. In a car it is normal to brake gently at first and then increase braking pressure.

In a kart, the instant you start to brake you can brake hard…sometimes the first moment you hit the brake is the hardest you brake.

I think that depends on the corner, you need to decode each corner and treat it as an independent puzzle to solve.

Generally with modern karts, you are trying to drive without creating an excessive angle of slip…of course a kart won’t corner without any slip angle, but keeping it to a minimum is a good target to have.

2 Likes

The thing drivers complain about most with hire karting is the equality of karts - and when you own a kart that is not an issue, you always drive the same one.

I think that a really good outdoor karting style will usually be very fast with indoor karting - but sometimes indoor karts just need to be hustled more.

2 Likes

i haven’t actually seen one in the flesh, but i guess at some point battery tech will take them further than petrol motors with performance… track infrastructure may be an issue though, it will take a lot of investment to provide charging facilities if they are needed at all.

2 Likes

I don’t really read tyres myself when looking at a driver, maybe another more engineering minded kartpulser could help you here like @tjkoyen

1 Like

I may have answered this in the podcasts - I can’t remember. I think the main thing is having a strong plan you believe in for making the start, so that you are decisive.

2 Likes

@Mike_Kellum Sounds like normal wear to me. Assuming you’re talking about the small dip on the inner edge. If you have pictures I could analyze it a bit better.

1 Like

@Chris_Kelly I would also add that commitment is very key. Find the hole and go for it into turn one.

2 Likes

@rags2races Don’t touch the setup. Leave it neutral and focus on driving first. Until you’re within .5-.7 of the leaders consistently, setup won’t get you there.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply…Purchased the book, and enjoying it…

2 Likes