Rib Vest Recommendations for Karting

Stay out of the kart for a while, hard as that may be. Very easy to re-injure.

That is my plan, we have 3 weeks to the next race.

I am going to focus on the sim for now (although even the sim with the force feedback turned down) is somewhat uncomfortable.

Not sure what I did to mine. But been in pretty heavy pain since Sunday from a battle with a curb. But first race is the year is Sunday. Not missing it. Then a month till next race so I’ll be fine.

I made two standard plastic ones last 20 years, about 7 years for the first one and it died in a massive crash. The second one didn’t get as much use (wasn’t racing as much) and failed on the strap.

Plus one for Bengio. Absolutely love mine

1 Like

Turned another 60 odd laps yesterday in crazy heat, not a hint of pain

1 Like

So where did everyone get their Bengio? I ran an omp and got some rib damage. Upon inspection I found some damage. Awaiting a response from omp currently.

Edit. This is only 6 events of use

I got mine at Kartstore.it

I got mine at DKC. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Here to report after nearly 8 weeks off I got into the kart this weekend for a 2 day event. Between my Bengio protector, low profile seat bolts and some seat padding I felt great.

I can still feel something was injured, but not for a second did I have any pain. I would describe it as some slight discomfort after but quickly goes away.

So for those who were/are injured. Stay out of the kart for as long as you can would be my advice,

2 Likes

Glad to hear it. I honestly can’t rate the Bengio highly enough. You’re in the same position I was couple of months back, now there’s not even a niggle, and I’m attacking those kerbs like never before, concentrating on driving fast not driving so it hurts less.

1 Like

I think I was at the same event. And having fractured 2 ribs 5 weeks ago I can attest to the same thing. I switched to the bengio Kevlar. And not only did I have zero pain, but I had zero pressure points at all. I can’t say enough about the bengio. That is the only rib vest anyone should consider.

1 Like

Someone needs to make custom fit rib vests. Bespoke fit in these things would make a difference.

1 Like

I might’ve mentioned this up further in this topic (or somewhere else), but I tested a custom fit vest thing once. They do the same to make quarterback vest padding for football. Basically it’s these molded pads that you crack to get the chemicals mixing, then press them into your ribs and let them harden to get a custom fit pad. Then you slide those pads into an athletic shirt with pockets on the sides and you’ve got a custom fit rib protector.

I didn’t really like it, but it was just the first prototype, and could be improved on for sure. Same idea as a custom molded seat in a formula car.

I have been wanting to make one of those custom mouldable seats for my rig. It’s basically a big bean bag that you add some sort of chemical to, stir it around, and sit in it to Shape. Seems perfect.

Bean bag kart seat…reckon I’d be snoozing at pre-grid :rofl:

Yah. You get one of those Kirkey metal seats, plop the bean bag in it, add the chemical and form. Once it hardens, you cut away the extra and presumably sand it all down. But, yah, the fitting step sounds like nap time.

Naps are good. I think a nap between pre and final should be adopted.

2 Likes

After my Son was running the FreeM Carbon for a few years, he got his first rib injury this year. Two weeks rest between races and injured again.

Happened upon a used Bengio on EBay and snatched it up. Hasn’t complained about his ribs since he started using it.

I guess all the pro Bengio comments are 100% true. :+1:

3 Likes

Tillett does custom fit rib vests, but I have a feeling you have to go to the factory in the UK or be at an event that they are at.

Personally don’t think its necessary, the leading rib vests have a half inch of padding, you can’t really custom mold that.

1 Like