Road Rash frame repair

Titanium. Sparky sparky :grin:

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread but I was thinking about this issue. Has anyone tried using something like JB Weld ā€œSteelstickā€ metal epoxy putty? Iā€™ve used that product in other applications and have been extremely impressed by its hardness when cured. You can shape and sand it up really well too.

Was thinking you might be able to lay a bead of putty into the flat spot on the frame, smooth it out and let it cure. Then, sand it up round to match the tubing and paint.

I donā€™t think it would take a curb grind very well. But, you could forgo the paint and just re-apply more putty if it gets ground down. May keep the abrasion off the already flat portion of the frame. On the other hand, I could be way over estimating its strength haha.

Sorry but this thread could use some Ron Swanson:

Ron says to go for it Spencer.

4 Likes

What would be the goal of doing this? Yes it might look the same but it wonā€™t have the strength and flexibility of steel. I know of someone that tried laying a bead of weld on the nose of the chassis that was flat spotted, but was told it runied the chassis and was almost undriveable.

The idea would be to protect the already flat spotted area from getting strikken directly again. Just brainstorming.

Or you could install frame guards.

Why not both?

Make it pretty with JB Weld and then protect with metal plate frame guards.

1 Like

I do have frame guards on the front and waist of the chassis. But I recently dipped half the kart off the edge of the track and scraped up the rear of the chassis. The cross bar behind the seat and the side rails next to the seat. There does not appear to be any production chassis guards to protect these areas. Iā€™ve considered using 30mm axle collars for the rear cross bar.

My chassis is fine currently, I was just thinking of ways to reinforce this area so if it happens again, the damage is minimized.

Thats what I do, I use axle collars for my rear cross member.

I did that on my 1st kart, & on the 2nd build I did that & added disc guards. Thereā€™s also a tubing wrap material you can get to otherwise cover other exposed sections.

What do you think about this?

It looks like a lot but itā€™s not uncommon. Does the chassis still respond to your changes? Has it lost any pace?

Thanks. Just picked it up so have not driven yet. Got it for a good price. Its a Kart Republic KR2. Gonna be running a low HP 2 stroke engine (Raket 120).

10mm is right on the line between ā€œItā€™s just hurting the resale valueā€ and ā€œThis is a rain / newbie intro frame nowā€

If you want to race it, put guards on it now so it doesnā€™t wear further.

1 Like