Rotax Coolant Question

Well I just got my Rotax max rebuilt with all new seals and the crank trued. I was told at the kart shop to use distilled water with Maxima Cool-Aid added to it. However someone else mentioned on here before to just run distilled as you shouldn’t use an additive. What are some of your thoughts. I am in SoCal and will be running on very hot days, thanks.

Your track may dictate if you can or cannot use coolant additive. If it spills out it can be quite slippery and hard to clean up. Generally water by itself runs cooler than coolant and water mixed together. If you are worried about corrosion I use water wetter and distilled water here in FL to prevent oxidation. But I would first ask your track and the guys/girls that run there frequently

2 Likes

As @SahibT said, many places will not allow you to use additives because a spill or leak ends up being very slippery and dangerous.

I’ve had no issues running a variety of water-cooled engines, including Rotax, in the hottest of hot weather on only distilled water.

2 Likes

Check with your track, but usually a surfactant like water wetter or cool-aid is OK. It doesn’t hurt to use it. Helps reduce temps a little as well as providing some lube for orings and other pump internals.

Glycol based antifreeze however is 100% not allowed.

1 Like

I ran distilled water. Just don’t let it sit in the engine too long. I always drained it.

1 Like

I’ve never had to use coolant in my Rotax to keep it within operating range even on the hottest days. Distilled water definitely. Plus, the last thing you want to do is be that guy who leaks coolant on the track.

1 Like