Rpm & Fuel Issues (New Guy)

Yes but only possible with 35 chain of course. (The specific rear sprocket, not the ratio)
I was trying to accommodate both 219 and 35 pitches.

Not true. Iā€™m running a 15/56 219 right now.

This might be my inexperience showing. If I donā€™t have the optimal drive ratio 17/18 to 63/64 (anywhere between 3.5 & 3.7 ratio), can I swap this for a smaller drive / output and achieve the same ratio (ie 15/54 = 3.6)?

Edit: Im running 35 chain

Know that you mention the Shitcane, I remember this. Have a grand old time and donā€™t collect too many hay bales!

1 Like

You can change the front or rear sprockets to meet the ratio. There are some limits in sizes of course.

How are you getting a 56t on a carrier? Smallest Iā€™ve been able to get was around 62 from memory and at that the chain was riding on the carrier.

I switched over to Sharp mini gears.

1 Like

OK thatā€™s good to knowā€¦ but Iā€™d say about 99.997% of people are running regular carriers.

1 Like

So I figure this is a good place to remind those in the Ohio-Indiana-Michigan-Pennsylvania area and beyond to come to Clyde and enjoy the fun this Sunday! I know theyā€™re still accepting entries. @Caleb_Schindler look us up at Clyde! Weā€™ll be easy to findā€¦ look for the flags!

1 Like

Gear ratios wonā€™t change the load on the engine. If the engine can make x lb-ft of torque at a given rpm, it will do so every time you floor it, whatever your gear ratio is. Different ratios will change the amount of time the engine spends at an rpm and rpm ranges but it wonā€™t change the load on the engine at a given rpm.

Now, if you are traction limited, a bigger rear gear can mean more slip, but even then the engine will deploy all its torque it can. That torque that didnā€™t make it to the ground just then turns into flywheel and crankshaft inertia.

Im not seeing anything that speaks to load on the engine with respect to gearing changes? :man_shrugging:

I was referring to the quote above and shouldā€™ve used the quote feature then

1 Like