Scaling kart

I tried to scale my kart last weekend and noticed that the right front was 10lbs higher than the left.

After a while it dawned on me that the steering was not straight and so the kart was jacking.

How do people scale their karts? What I mean is there might be legitimate weight difference between the front left and right. So, turning the steering wheel to balance them is not the right thing to do.

I find it close to impossible to get it right and do belive that to much is being put into it.
What I tend to do is getting the front/rear weight where i like it and ignore the Four corner scaling, you only need to have a very minute error to put one corner way off and In the process of getting it “reight” you make things worse.

The above is just my feelings about it and some meight thinks i am crazy

1 Like

Hope this video can help ya.

1 Like

I am out of town at moment, but will photograph our scales. I use them to get approximate total and front to rear weight at home. So anytime we replace a seat, or as my son continues to grow and we have to remove and relocate lead; then we use the scales. Started with 35 lbs, LO206, and a full tank 2 years ago. Now he is at 15 lbs, lighter KA100, and near empty tank.

Also, I use snipers on front spindles to confirm the wheel is straight and not chase L/R imbalance. Big thing is the kid sitting consistent.

I have found the scales tell us when something is bent. If we are heavy on the right rear AND left front at same time in a right side motor application, likely means something is tweaked.

1 Like

I agree with Bjørn.
Its been my experience that side to side is easily thrown off by small changes in heights. Steering position, camber, tyre pressure all have an impact.

To get a reasonable indication of lateral distribution across an axle, I support the other end of the kart centrally so that support is triangulated, but there needs to be a fair degree of accuracy with locating the additional fulcrum on the centerline.

1 Like