Self Made Karts

Some of you might be aware I have ventured into the world of building my own kart chassis from scratch. I am putting together a video series so you can follow the progress, It’s be cool if I wasn’t alone on this, so if any of you do your own chassis please get in touch :slight_smile:

Episode 1

Episode 2

9 Likes

Following! Love that you are doing this and producing the videos.

I also want to do this after my current build, because I’d like to build a “skateboard” chassis specifically designed for electric components instead of petrol.

2 Likes

By the way, I am loving this beard. Hope this stays post-Covid.

haha thanks ! It shall act as a living monument of the passage of time for the build… Though it might have to go for the respirator! :frowning:

3 Likes

Interested to know what filler rod you are using for your ’ brazing’

Common or garden brazing uses Silicon bronze rod but in the days when racing machines were made out of steel tube the ’ go to’ rod was Nickel bronze. Much stronger.

Technique using oxy / acetylene pretty much the same.

You may well have checked this out with Jade and presumably what is good enough for them will be okay for the rest of us .

I was using silcone bronze for practice work. I’ll see what Jade use. If nickel bronze is stronger i’ll deffo give that a look.

1 Like

Just watched your latest video. Curious - what happened to building your own frame?

I’m more interested in that now, as I moved the seat on my old frame to the right to make a better driving position since the large ICE is gone. That meant buying tubing and then getting it bent (nobody has 3/4" dies around here) - so I’m looking at benders currently. Then I’ll need to notch the tube and then weld that to the old frame using an added tube collar for strength like the OEM did. This frame is all a great compromise designed around the old Honda power plant.

To make a safer kart, I’d like to build a new frame moving the battery boxes (one on each side) inside the outer “rails”, and locating the motor behind the seat so everything is balanced 50/50 side to side as well as distributing the weight front to back appropriately. That two axis bend up to the spindles will be the most difficult, so I’m looking at benders that can allow for that with the CLR required.

Money. I haven’t been able to earn anything in 14 or so months. I might go back to it in the future, I’d like to.

1 Like