Should I trail brake?

I find it sad the people that keep saying they race 206s on tracks “that don’t use much brakes”. Given the size and width of modern kart tracks, I understand. However, find an older, tighter, more technical track and you guys will have even more fun! Like Burpo mentioned, my home track you can blue a rotor (even in a 206) because we slow down and brake so much.

3 Likes

It would have to be a pretty tight and twisty track. Even at Dousman in 206 I barely am braking. I think there’s two total braking zones on the track. The rest of the corners (including hairpins) it’s just a light graze of the brake or a short stab.

Something like Springfield or smaller club tracks would require more braking.

1 Like

When trail braking, is the IR still lifting?

1 Like

Curiously, in our electric karts on the swoopy plywood, we don’t brake at all. Since the karts don’t coast, lifting is braking, and it feels directly proportional. Reverse trail, but throttle.

Thats also a function of not having enough speed to warrant it as well, imho. Things would change with more speed, you’d need to decelerate more and quicker than the throttle modulation provides. But, the way the karts work, the tires do chirp when you lift to reduce speed, sometimes.

Yes! Springfield, Whiteland, Wilmington. Some speed and narrowness.

Fremont is the same but with only one really hard braking point.

Yes, Fremont is not quite big enough to need true braking zones, but turn 1 is a good example of how trail breaking is required to get you around a corner fast!

1 Like

Yes. It’s probably lifting more because you’re putting the kart on the nose and introducing additional force as you ask the kart to turn and slow down at the same time.