Sim Racing Megatopic

2 Likes

That’s some nice gear!!!

Was lucky to get the card for MSRP, Nvidia had some stock, actually they had stock on all their cards.
The wheel and the pedals looks absolutely fantastic, insane quality

How are the new pedals? They are premium priced yes? I have heard good things but it’s a crowded space now.

They seem reasonably priced but I suppose that’s without baseplate etc.

I really should sim again. Hmmm. Man thats pretty gear, Tanguy.

damn you.

Eurobeat Intensifies

SWS?

1 Like

Dusk and the brushed aluminum

I do like deviated stitching alot, as an option.

1 Like

@speedcraft i fired up iracing and did some laps in the sprint car. I bought zandvoort for road (amazing) and would like to take a TAG kart there. I also spent some time racing AI on a big oval in one of the Indy cars.

The ai isn’t bad at all. They kept trying g to pass me which is realistic. They managed to not run into me or me them when wheel to wheel.

Iracing is very nice but I think I need more video card. The vr optimization guide doesn’t seem to be as relevant as before. Also, I think a round wheel would be a good addition. The wall and formula style wheels is dangerous in oval. Thumbs have a tendency to get banged up.

I can’t make LFE feel good. It’s too subtle. If I’m not mistaken it’s single channel so I don’t think it’s sending anything to the 7.1 system. Simhub seems to give a better experience.

I do think that motion would add a lot. Maybe I’ll start looking more into that.

I’m just not sure about the cars. It’s .fun but it’s not the same and it’s more “work”. I do really enjoy mid-sized oval racing though: it would be nice if there was a series just for open wheel formula on medium oval like Eliastown (New Hampshire eg).

Are you doing anything?

I honestly have been enjoying just scootching around in normal car doing normal car things. I do need to race though.

Oh, by the way, did I tell you about the co2 drama at our last enduro? Marc went to Er. Fortunately I got kinda screwed drive time so was not as exposed. @nikspeeds Nik had to go wander around Birdentown NJ to clear his head in way home.

I wonder if the oxygen deprivation led to odd choices being made. One of my teammates kept trying the outside where it was slick and beefed 5 times into wall. Watching the video was like "nooooo… that’s not gonna… krash!),

Anyways. Maybe I’ll start racing again in the iracing world. I do wish they’d have good karts, too.

Looks like racing life will be:

Supercharged weekly
Endurance Karting (5+ events)
The odd TKC event.
Maybe a jaunt to Europe and we can collect @tankyx

@tankyx has there ever been any inkling of karts in iracing? Also, what should I upgrade?

CPU and GPU? Can I get away with just GPU? Still have the nice one you sold me. I upgraded to 32mb ddr3200

PSL Xmas tree kart:

Also, a thought on AI power consumption vis a vis GPUs.

1 Like

OpenXR and iracing

When I try to launch open xr in iracing the headset shows the steam waiting room. The game appears to be running and moving the headset around shows the screen moving (replay screen) but the headset is showing either steam or cliffhouse.

I thought that open XR would avoid steam VR entirely.i did download openxr toolkit

Everything works normally in openVR.

And this is what I imagine Warren would do to the field:

And, if you live in the PNW, grab a camera and head to the coast, Thursday:

"The swell, which is currently spinning out in the Pacific due west of California, has been recorded by satellite to have 45-foot seas. It will peak in Northern California early Thursday morning with Surfline currently predicting 19 feet with an 18-second interval to hit Maverick’s and the San Francisco area. That will translate to wave faces up to 50 feet at California’s famous big wave. Even the more protected spots, like Santa Cruz, will see big surf as well with Surfline calling for 15 feet at 18 seconds.

The sound of the big rollers slamming into ocean beach can be heard (and felt) from the top of Sutro towers, it feels like. It’s impressive when BIG.

But, even if you wanted to surf… you’d have to make it out…

“On a lot of days at Ocean Beach, just getting out can be a major accomplishment. Depending on swell and tide and sandbar, on many days there is a 200-yard “zone of death” in between the beach and the lineup. It can be as hard to get off the beach and out to sea for a surfer as it was for a marine to get from sea to shore on the beaches of Normandy. It takes knowledge, skill, strength and courage, but the deciding factor on a lot of days is still dumb luck.”

This is totally true. Nothing like paddling for one hour and not making it outside. OB has very rapidly shifting sandbars and the channel is constantly on the move. The bay is a giant toilet bowl flushing every day 2x. Lateral currents on OB are easily 5+knots. This lateral current, combined with the relentless nature of the wave period at OB can make a strong man cry.

OB on a big day, as seen from top of hill

It’s not clear enough for it here, but you can see the Farallon islands a few miles out. If you wanted to remember about the sharks, just look towards their nursery.

After braving sharky, frigid water… go get some of the best Dungeness crab you’ll ever have…
(upload://uwuJpFRzr3Gzfa0nBPUSzVPvxK5.jpeg)

To summarize: OB is Nurburgring in the wet with 80s HP. It will be firing Thursday (wind is always the issue, offshores are problematic frequently).

Follow up:
https://www.surfer.com/trending-news/sneaker-wave-sweeps-away-surf-spectators-at-massive-mavericks-video

1 Like

OpenXR can be used only with a few headset I think. My Varjo is one of those for example

The g2 or whatever I have is one of them. Its supposed to make a huge difference in frames.

Aha it works with open Xr. Although steam VR starts up, you kill the process.

@tankyx what, if any, card makes sense to upgrade the 3060ti? Near as I can tell the 4070 or 3070ti might make sense

Hey, does your FFB trick from the past still work?

and

How does it work again?

I wish I could answer that but I haven’t tried it yet.

Your copilot is cute
I’m gonna need to bring my rig up to speed.

Gonna work on some stuff with Warren.

I need to get me seating sorted out. The car seat is too high. A kart seat might be too uncomfortable.

@KeslerDesignWorks are we able to do this in iracing with the cars? I really hate how 6th is a liability on some tracks.

Edit: also I’m looking into pedals… you have p2000 yes? Owner report after having lived with them a bit?

A very smart Dad!

So I’m shopping for seats and I come across this. This gentleman mounted a tillet to his longboard so he could take his son surfing! Genius!

How the Aliens get so quick…

Great and terrible news simultaneously!!!

There is finally a series that interests me fully:

Open wheel C in the 2000 PM-18

You know how I’ve always said I like doing mid sized ovals and really enjoyed those in the USF 2000 series?

Well this series seems like that but seems to have more oval races thrown in. The car is also rather similar to USF2000. Its about the same speed.

The terrible news: no one wants to do this series and VRS isn’t covering it which means I have to find the pace the hard way.

I think I’m about a tenth off from where I need to be.

I’m also really hesitant about opening up this box of worms. Iracing gets a tad stressful and the scheduled nature of it drives me bananas.

That being said, the actual series that seems like folks are likely to do is the dallara but that seems to be BIG oval stuff.

The iBraking adventures will continue when I can summon the courage to pop into a live practice. I have been doing TT and ghost races.

15 posts were split to a new topic: Sim Racing 2024