Sim Racing Megatopic

But by that logic, almost any racing game is going to give you the same lessons. Daytona USA for SEGA has a specific set of physics, and adapting to those physics and driving quick in that game will require a fully different technique than driving in a more realistic game. The whole point of driving in a sim is to practice in an environment that is as close to real-life as possible.

If you are learning about things like managing grip levels, that’s cool, but my point is you can get that in any racing game. If you drive Mario Kart you have to manage grip levels to maintain a drift, but I would say that the lessons learned from Mario Kart probably won’t translate very well to the real track.

I hate to say it, but I think your 40,000 kms of driving in KK have given you slightly rose-tinted glasses on the game as a whole Dom. :sunglasses: But hey, if you’re getting something useful out of it, more power to you. :+1:

As I said, given the time I have invested, my perspective is going to be unique.

Maybe. I can’t speak to that because I am not familiar with that. Of the various games I have played, none of them ever made me feel that they were helpful to me, much, from a learning perspective. I can and did “learn” how to drive car sims, but none of them made me feel like I was moving the ball forwards IRL on track.

Kk changed that. It’s obviously far from perfect but there is something directly translatable here. I see it in my driving that gets better and better, both in game and in life. To me, there is no difference how I think between game and life, no real difference in how I drive either.

I don’t think that is a provocative statement. Assuredly, I am much more aware of risk irl and consider that. I am not consciously changing my driving between sim and real life. It’s a seamless transition and as far as I have experienced, utterly beneficial.

This may be self delusion or some sort of odd confirmation bias where I am rising to my ability regardless of what I do. I don’t think so. This was carved out of rock. I ground this out. In KartKraft and at NJMP.

That is a very different thing. That’s driving that is not grounded in any sort of model of reality. That’s purely a game. I know you are trying to play devils advocate but comparing a detailed sim with carefully considered modeling of physics to an arcade amusement game is not an apples to apples comparison, not by a long shot. I am pushing back a bit, here.

Correct, I’m purposefully being a bit exaggeratory to illustrate a point. But my point is that if the “carefully considered physics” of the sim are broken in some way, that sort of defeats the entire purpose of the sim. You might as well be playing an arcade game.

And to be clear, I’m not saying there is no benefit to pounding out laps in KK. Especially before this latest update, it seemed like it was pretty well sorted and I was enjoying it. The tire temp/pressure introduction has sort of soured me on it for now, since as we pointed out above, the setup aspect is completely broken now and because of that, the driving experience has changed from realistic to less-than.

Sort the tire model back out and eliminate exploit setups and it will be fine again.

1 Like

And that is indeed an understandable perspective. But my point is that the odd physics currently gives a unique window into driving under grip conditions that are exaggerated but still correct in their physical model.

Currently we are driving a “stretched” version of grip. It’s a bloody amazing experience. It is correct (in many ways) while being simultaneously broken. It’s quite amazing and forces you as an individual to adapt in realistic ways.

No. It is possible for something to be off but have it’s core still in place. This is one of those cases. You have to drive here, you can’t phone this in. You have to adapt and use real world knowledge to meet fake world needs. Same tactics.

We gonna argue all night. End of day, I’d prefer to run 500 laps a day at NJMP. It bugs me that I can’t communicate the benefits I see better.

US1 GLB 1

S1: 16.078
S2: 21.441
S3: 05.980

Ding! Fries are done! New WR.

2 Likes

[quote=“Bimodal_Rocket, post:215, topic:6643”]
Yes. There was a ffb update that messed up the MG yellow tire. As a consequence, the x30 and KZ are on ice.[/quote]

Since the latest update I only tested the new KA100 and I realized there was a lot to gain with tyre pressure. I hear a lot of complaints about undriveable X30 so I thought I gave it a go. After a few laps I drove a 32 something on Geelong with the X30, so I am not experiencing the stuff @Jeff_Lund (and many others?) are experiencing. 45 seconds a lap is really weird.

I haven’t tried it at all since uodate. Will give x30 a go and see. Thanks!

my pb round amp is only one tenth off but why are u on the grass and taking so much kerbs

Using all the track, I suppose. It seems to be the fast way. Grass in KK has 20% grip or something, but, if wheels are straight, there’s no time loss for using grass. It doesn’t slow you down like in IRL. Insofar as kerbs and the like, ideally I want to run a line that is tight to apexes. You need to use all the track to maximize speed through the corners.

Turn 2 at amp you are mainly narrow, for example. You typically don’t go to the left edge before turn in. If you did, you’d have an extra yard or two of earlier throttle.

One thing you might want to consider is that you’ve been full-on with KK for 1 - 1.5 years? How long since you’ve driven a proper car sim? Your skill set in the areas of gathering, filtering, processing, interpreting and responding to sensory inputs has evolved considerably during the time you have been driving KK. Perhaps it would be interesting to see if that evolution in ability will make ‘car’ sims feel different now, and/or can broaden you overall skill set. Anyway, just a thought. :wink:

Worth a try!!! I did dirt oval when I had covid in iracing and it went well.

true cuz irl the kerbs are deadly and will unsettle your kart causing u to lose time and irl we don’t hit the krebs but use all and more of the rumble strips and also you are correct about t2 im currently attempting to fix it

Kerbs in game can be very nasty. There have been a series of adjustments that were amusing but frustrating…

Nose pod was made completely inflexible for a bit and you would come to a dead stop on anything sticking up (blade of grass, kerb edge).

Kerb flipping: in one build you looked at a kerb, you were upside down.

I imagine I would be a lot more careful IRL on the sweepers and the other dangerous ones.

1 Like

True, the dirt is fun, but it would be interesting to see how much of your KK skill set you could bring over and adapt to a couple of iRacing tire types:

• A ‘street’ tired car like a Skip Barber FF2000 if you own it, or a MX5 (because the street tires move and flex a lot, and operate a fairly large slip angles).
  • A formula car that uses race tires (Formula Renault 2.0, legacy Formula Mazda, or something like that) .

A car sim also affords you the opportunity to race against, and be run into by (I mean work on your racecraft against), other drivers. :grin:

Ok I’ll bite. To what end? Where would suspension take me that karts cannot? Or, is it a matter of wanting to have a completed arena in which to compete? A bigger lab?

Part of it would be to see if you were learning valuable skills in general driving dynamics, and not just honing in on a specific skill set that is required for the intricacies of a particular sim like KK.

If you go to iRacing and are able to have good car control and make good use of the tires in something like the Skippy or MX5 like Warren is talking about, it’s showing that you are actually learning fundamentals of managing tire grip and vehicle dynamics.

For example, I could play Call of Duty for a hundred hours, really get good at the game, but then when I go to a different FPS game, I might get spanked. This actually happens to me pretty often. So in reality, I was never good at FPS games in general, I just happened to be super honed in on CoD and it’s specific parameters.

Hmmm. Ok fair enough, I shall endeavor to give it a go. My general experience has been that after an adjustment period, wherein you come to grips with “grip”, I should be good to go.

What you wanna see? TT? And I generally only drive high downforce cars but I will try the sleepy slidey ones too.

Anecdotally I was driving the Renault formula 2.0 pretty quick at lime rock. There is an app that allows you to see your times relative to other users. I was not far off the best times.

ya the game haze some wired phisic bug causing the kart to randomly start kartwheling wich is very anoying

Yes but even then, I was able to set new lap times. When the kerb upsets your kart, the answer is found typically in modifying the throtttle the moment you mount the kerb. If you slightly reduce throttle at that moment, the kart will not bounce and holds grip.

1 Like