Sim Racing Megatopic

So this is a pc game only ?? How do you download it and what need to play it ?

i know you can download it on steam, and if you do i’d buy it sometime during the mid-end of december since steam always do winter sales so you can get for cheaper. also, i think they released the game last year to xbox and ps4, i could be mistaken though but they were planning on releasing it on console

1 Like

It’s way behind schedule and PC only at this point. The scuttlebutt is that console versions will come after the final build for PC, which is to say, probably not for a long time.

It’s not a complete game at this point. The multiplayer is still being developed. As a sim, it is amazing. I personally love pounding out laps in time trial, fighting my way up the leaderboard.

I’m a bit of a kook in that I see this as training. It’s a sim, so it’s not the same, but I find it to be close enough to reality to be useful. I find it to be time well spent.

Yeah it looks really good and I can’t wait for lo206 to come out so that way it’ll feel a bit more closer to home since that’ll be the kart i’ll be starting out with before rok or x30 (if I decide to, might just stick in lo206 since fields are twice as big there than they are in rok senior).

Did the KA100 class come out on kartkraft?? I looked on their website and it said it would be coming out on November 2019. I don’t have kartkraft yet but am planning on getting it this year, gonna use drive a sim x30 for practice for a lo206 being the goofy person I am lol

I am willing to bet that we will see the lo206 and ka100 added within the next few months. But, that’s my guess and I have nothing to back it up. After a long silence, they just did two updates in as many weeks.

I don’t think you need to be specific to engine package to derive IRL value. Yes, the x30 is quite a bit more powerful and grippy than an lo206, but, it’s better in some ways (to learn on). It’s still a momentum based kart, just a ton faster.

If you can learn how to hoof the x30 well in KK, when you plop down into your LO, it will seem slow and your brain will have gotten accustomed to a much higher sensation of speed.

For some really insane fun, try the KZ (shifter kart). That is driven differently and it will rip your face off (virtually). It is savage. But, when you get OK to good at it, you’ll wonder why we bother driving anything slower.

That is true. Does x30 punish you as severely as lo206 does in losing momentum? Also, I would race x30 or rok in real life, just thinking that a field of 10 racers doesn’t seem appealing compared to the 20 drivers in the local tracks. The only rok senior class that has 30 drivers is the florida winter tour, and that includes drivers like Norberg, so there’s no way i can race there at the moment, I’d be merely a spectator lol

Nope. The x30 and the other 125tag engines have about 30hp as compared to the 9? or so of the Lo206. So comparatively, they have a lot more grunt.

But, at the end of the day, regardless of engine package, mistakes cost you. In the higher horsepower stuff, mistakes usually have an near-term price to pay. You overcook the corner, the guy behind goes under you. Sure, you can try to power it back up in a V, and you will get back up to speed quick, but damage done.

From what I have seen of LO206 fields, a mistake’s cost is played out over several turns. The driving tends to be very unforgiving of pace loss. The pack is slow but relentless.

Sorry. Thought you did a stint with Energy Corse & a couple others. My bad.

Progress

Finally landed a lap. Optimal has been sub-42 for 4 days, but hadn’t been able to move forwards. This is sort of a strange lap. S1 is very slow, a tenth off. But, somehow it came together.

Tonight I changed the entry to the back chicane. I was putting too much angle at turn in, taking a more acute line. This is harder to pull off, in some ways, but it seems faster.

The closing, twisty bit is starting to get more consistent. It is very hard to resist putting power down, but this final section requires some patience and a whole lot of throttle control.

I am not close to your times yet, but my S1 is also quite a bit slower compared to people with a similar laptime. I think the reason is that S1 ends at the braking point for the second corner. When you brake a little earlier, your S1 time is way off, but S2 benefits.

I still cannot attack the kerbs like you do. I think it is a matter of driving style rather than setup.

I have to hit the kerbs correctly. The kerbs can be taken but they are sketchy. If the angle is good, no problem. They are quite bouncy when struck at the wrong angle!

I think you are correct on the approach to the first cutback. My better times are .3x. I haven’t figured out if that’s from a late brake or a better entry into t1.

Good laps Dom, looking forward to getting kartkraft myself lol. Do you race x30 irl or just sim?

I did 2 seasons of x30, stopped a few races into 2019. I have been hoofing rental karts since then. I just spoke to OVRP and am lining up an lo206 for their Margay Spec racing series for next year.

Goal achieved (and then some).

S1: 08.248
S2: 18.840
S3: 14.788

Well, I was gonna call it quits when I broke 42, but… tonight was epic and I don’t want it to stop. My optimal is faster than global 1, so I need to go for this.

Tonight I started to bomb S1. I dropped into the .2s and was like whoa. And then I took it almost the the .1’s. In fact this lap here has the lowest S1 on the board, so WR of a sort.

The difference lay in the big turn and staying tighter to the inner kerb and not overpowering the exit. So again, it comes down to patience and not just hurling yourself at things.

Which brings us to the next corner which suffers from the hurls but I’ll take what I have for now. If you want to send it deep, it is very tricky to get a powerful exit. But, it is possible and practice will refine things.

Finally, I became very consistent in the important closing sequence. This changed everything, allowing me to take advantage of my newfound S1 and set a new fast lap.

Anyhow, enjoy. This one took some work. :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve never driven X30 or kartkraft, so I have a question. I’ve never driven an x30 or kartkraft yet so I dont know these things yet so please bare with me.

In the 32 second part of your video you turn right very sharply almost intentionally skidding a bit. You do it a little bit in the 12 second part of the video as well. Is it because of the amount of grip in the kart, threshold braking, or skidding? Is this a normal concept used racing 2 stroke? If so, is it because you want to spend the least amount of time turning so in order to keep momentum you sharply turn the wheel so you skid to the right and then drive with a straight wheel? Just curious from a driving perspective.

I’ve been watching onboards on kart drivers racing x30 at the same track and they don’t seem to be doing that. Is this just a game thing or would you do that irl as well?

It’s a game thing, at least the big hand gestures where I yank hard at the wheel.

There’s a bunch of stuff here. Basically, in KK, I drive the rubber. Notice turn 2, the one at the end of the straight after big, sweeping turn 1. My turn in, the flick, is right in the darkest patch of rubber in the braking zone.
I am braking super late, very hard, very quick release. I quickly turn in, which loosens back. I then rotate with throttle, sweeping through, building throttle as I track out.

I am doing this with the kart very loaded up, locking into the rubber on the track. I am driving to the grip available in the game. There is a ton of grip and the tires are sticky and perpetually perfect.

The basic idea of it is real. Here is a video that shows a real person driving pfi and a kartkraft player alongside:

As you can see, its pretty close. I think what I do isn’t that far off, either. The difference is, some of the lines I am taking are nuts. The turn at 32s must be the Bobby corner. I literally huck myself around that, surfing slip angle. It’s completely bonkers and I have no idea if a kart could behave like that IRL. I’ve never been there and never tried.

I can’t answer wether what I am doing is possible IRL. It certainly feels it. The huge hand gestures are a game only thing. But, I definitely do quick, sharp jabs into a loaded steering column, wether 4 stroke or two, to induce some rotation or feel out wether I am at the limit in a longer turn.

The answer is, I’m not skidding. I’m using rotation, sometimes pretty significant, but I’m doing it within the rubber, on the line. This kind of rotation will only happen on a very grippy track, and I think only in fast accelerating karts.

I’m NOT using the power of the kart to break free of traction, btw. The rotation is induced by a weight shift and braking. The throttle comes as the rotation begins and is what controls it, along with steering.

The why of all this is all about trying to find the earliest point at which you can start accelerating powerfully. It’s about finding the earliest and most effective throttle.

So essentially it is trail braking correct, more or less? I believe it seems more exaggerated in the game but it’s the same concept occurring with both kartkraft and real life, at least from what i see

Not really. I don’t trail here. There’s a little gauge on screen that shows my pedal inputs. For the most part I straight line brake with rapid brake release.
Eventually, if you get into the game and play, you will see how it’s similar and where it is different than irl. (Looks like the input gauge is not turned on here but I think it is in previous lap vid.)

In the irl video, he isn’t rotating it as aggressively in the cutbacks. He brakes earlier and has a more “normal” turn. The game maybe turns things up to 11.

Oh so the turn is just exaggerated on the gaming system than what you see in real life then. Makes more sense lol. Sorry Im very much still a noob, loving the journey so far though, thinking about doing hotlaps and practice on x30 kart next year too

I think that it’s fair to say that the game is karting, slightly exaggerated.