Sim Racing Megatopic

@TKvetko OBS is what I use as well. I go to YouTube to start the stream and then press stream on OBS.

The one cool feature of GeForce experience is the recording feature. It allows you to record X minutes (user defined) that just occurred. If you just ran a lap you want to record, you press the button after the fact.

OBS does the same IIRC

A race to remember

I am having problems where SimHub is crashing right as you start a race, requiring a reboot. I qualified 4th for this race but rejoined the server right as the race was starting, from the pits. I manage to worrk my way up to 5th from 14th, I believe.

I chopped up the race into chapters, in the description. It was eventful and I drove really well. I was not fast, but I was decisive and pretty much dominated my race. Given enough laps, I may have been able to podium. I subsequently won a race, shortly hereafter. Towards the end, I had a challenger and the finish was very close, but I secured 5th. Enjoy.

Oof. What a miserable night. My system issue got worse and worse and my race starts got more and more screwed. I’ve gotten good at starting a lap down.

I decided to wipe the system and do a clean install. When in doubt, use the big guns. Will this work? If it doesn’t, it’s hardware which would suck.

Edit: full system wipe and reinstall worked. Back in business and got me a 2nd and a 6th! Looking forwards to the new week.

Here’s the last lap for 2nd. 1-3 battled all race. I had pace for first but it coulda gone to either of us. I think with a couple more laps, I could have gone ahead. But, the guy behind got close a couple times. He passed me in the 1st corner with 2 to go and I got him back, here.

Last lap, let’s go!

Timestamped at 48:00

We are at Long Beach

Perennial favorite Long Beach is up this week on USF2000.
Early week races have been great with a very strong SOF compared to usual.

Dived right in no practice and have been doing well, considering. P6 so far in all three races, I think. Getting faster as I go along and using my defensive skills to try not to get passed too much. Managed a couple of 1:22:0x last night so I expect to be dropping down into 21s, like the other big boys, tonight or later this week.

Hey guys, sorry to post this here.
The thread is so long and to go through 8xx messages, it’s going to take a while.

My question is… how realistic is KartKraft for you experienced kart drivers?
Is it something you guys use for training (race craft) to keep you sharp?

I have been mostly doing some GT sport on PS4, but that’s more of a sim-cade.
I’m looking to step up my game for a PC, force feedback type of setup. On iRacing & maybe KartKraft if it helps with kart training…

1 Like

I haven’t played in a bit and I’m sure there have been updates, but I felt KartKraft to be very realistic feeling up to about 85-90% of the limit. Pounding around a couple tenths off ultimate pace was very realistic. Once I would start to push that extra 10% or start to get a bit over the limit, it started to feel a bit weird in my opinion.

The great thing KK replicates well compared to iRacing is the unique pace at which things happen in karting. It’s very sharp and immediate and visceral like real karting. Anything that is simulating car racing is inherently going to feel slower and lazier because it’s a car, not a kart. I think that’s something that KK can give you in terms of feel that other sims aren’t going to be able to.

iRacing will give you a lot of training on racecraft, consistency, and mental strength, things that KK can’t give you without an online multiplayer.

I enjoy both for different reasons.

1 Like

That’s the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Thanks TJ

2 Likes

I’m basically gonna agree with TJ. He’s correct that it’s very much like karting until that last 5-10% where it’s in its own world (just like any sim).

The pace is probably the strong point. The quickness and directness of it.

The tuning is interesting but not like IRL, really. While effects are similar, amounts differ.

I obviously liked it as I did around 46k km over the course of a year or so.

It’s somewhat limited by a lack of things to do other than hotlap. It is a terrific way to learn a layout, however.

It is possible, given the acquisition, that the game gets fully fleshed out. Tanguy says they are hiring, for example.

I think this could be very successful if they are able to get good multiplayer happening and a well done competitive system. (Like iracing).

Since I am doing the enduro at AMP, I am curious to see how I take to the track, given all the laps I ran in KK. I will have a better idea of wether it’s useful after I experience the real track.

kk is alright but i think a better game is kart racing pro because it has better physics more karts and track (mods) and a better online system.

I have heard from @tankyx that KRP needs some tuning to be less numb. I bought it and tried a few laps and did not like the kart in its untuned form. Felt wooden to me.

One of the fellas who plays KK mods extensively for KRP and says it is good with the right tunes.

1 Like

ya i had the same feling but after a few hours and some mods the game fells relly good and if u get some friends or join a leauge its relly fun.

What you folks think. Is your racing highly dependent on state of mind and how you manage thoughts/emotions or are you more concerned with mechanical/physical things as you go round and round?

My take is that once you reach a certain level of competence and familiarity with a circuit, your mental state and confidence is what primarily drives your results.

Racing is 95% pointless ‘race babble’ (an Al Nunley term - RIP).

Better racing is 100% extracting the lessons from your experience and applying them to your driving. :wink:

1 Like

Way to avoid the question, Warren! :sunglasses:

But seriously, is it mental or physical? In essence? (Let’s assume optimal health as a given).

Al may have been correct. Race babble sets the stage, however. It can psych you up or down. Talking shit never seems to help me though.

I don’t think there is a correct answer. I am guessing that some folks are completely not fragile about their head space but are always worried about setup, for example. Others like me could care less about setup (to a point) but get in my own head.

I’m mainly just curious to see what folks find their primary limiting factor is, what can potentially hold them back from expressing their ideal driving state.

A friend of mine was being rather harsh with me re driving. I was sort of wondering why. It came back to how he manages himself, what he does and how he thinks to keep him progressing.

In short he is brutal with other peoples driving so as to communicate that one shouldn’t be complacent. Happiness, is to him, a state of weakness and opens the door for failure. He feels that by being content you begin the death of progression.

Pretty extreme.

I think once the physical ability learned in practice is there it become a mental game for sure. Now you know you are capable of doing well from the practice you put in but you have to perform right now in the moment. I think this is true of all sports and at the highest level of anything it becomes a mental game.

1 Like

You are probably correct. I guess once it has become second nature and automatic, all that’s left is your brain getting in way.

Last night I found myself derping mid race. My focus had wandered. I sorta got pulled back into the race by my driving technique falling apart. I lost the rhythm and started missing shifts etc. Had to go find the flow and balance again. Had to refocus and also let go of tension, allow speed to happen.

I think the learned automatic part is reliant on a clear mind.

Dom, riddle me this… where does ‘physical’ begin?

Again, it’s all mental… whether the underlying problem is:

1. Not understanding the task well enough.
  2. Not processing sensory information efficiently (aka thinking your way around the track).
  3. Not freeing the mental bandwidth to be able to feel what’s going on (aka sensitivity).
  4. Not being able to translate sensations into the information needed to understand what’s happening.
  5. Not being able to take that information and interpret what it means and respond to it in the context of the current situation on track. (Typically insufficient breadth and/or depth in your knowledge/experience matrix)

The actual physical part of the whole driving process is quite easy and relatively insignificant. That is, if the ‘mental’ stuff is being handled properly, then the ‘physical’ stuff just gets handled essentially automatically. Put another way, if you’re having a ‘physical’ problem with your driving, look for the underlying ‘mental’ issue.

There are may reasons to race (fun, camaraderie, a personal challenge, $ burning a hole in you pocket, like annoying your wife, etc.), However, if your reason for racing is to be the best you can be, and hopefully win in high-level competition, then I do not think you’re friend’s approach is ‘extreme’ at all; it is simply what’s required. That said, I personally always took the approach of looking for a positive from a ‘learning experience’ first, and then I beat the hell out of myself. :grin:

As I mentioned before, discovering the lessons hidden in your experience his really the only way to improve (the only way to teach yourself how to drive). That process begins by becoming disillusioned with your driving (literally letting go of the illusions you hold about your self and your driving). which will drive you to find the next ‘lesson’ you need to progress. Apply that concept 24/7, every race, every lap, every turn; that’s how to improve.

In my case when I am pulled into thinking about what I am doing as something unexpected occurs that isn’t “good”. I find that when I get fearful of my pace loss it compounds itself by my body becoming resistant to my mind. It’s like I get tense and mechanical as opposed to intuitive and free. I can feel it evolve and I am learning to control it and understand that it’s a mental state, not physical. The physical tension and misfires are a physical manifestation of a mental problem.

I am trying to be as good as I possibly can be but without any real hope of being super good (too old, too untalented etc). Maybe the reality of that allows me to have a more chill attitude about my failures and enjoy my successes more? There is no real skin in the game, racing isn’t existential to me, financially or otherwise. So, I find joy in:

These moments of clarity are why we are here and they hit you like a bolt from God. Why not enjoy them? Why self-flagellation as the road to improvement? Are we that fragile that we must create an all-or-nothing way to engage with things we deeply desire to excel in? I’m all about being extreme in the pursuit of excellence and I’m actually looking for transcendence of a sort through physical activity/sport. That’s why I almost have a second job in sim lol. It’s not because I want to be better than Tanguy (though that would be nice). I want to be better than “me” and I want to experience some joy every time I get behind the wheel.

I can relate to this. I came to you under these circumstances. I think this happens in waves. Sometimes we realize what we thought we understood is incorrect or maybe only sometimes true. As we acquire experience these assumptions/beliefs are challenged, tested, and sometimes found wanting. If they are deeply held enough, that can be a process that “hurts” as you realize that you were barking up the wrong tree the whole time. Pride cometh before a fall, and all that, which is perhaps what my friend feared.

But, that’s where the proverbial rubber meets the road, I think, in any serious learning. I think we need to fall down to rise up, over and over, in a never-ending process that spans the entirety of ones “career”. Fearing failure is normal, and I fear it often. It seems to me that the process of learning requires repeated and ongoing failures. Joy is earned, here. But it’s still ok.

F1 driver development program at work

So, this is a great potential lesson; it indicates that your comfort level for variance from your ‘plan’ could use some strengthening. That is, the shock of the unexpected event drew all/most of your mental resources. Imagery training can help train you to be less less mentally startled; taking you from “Oh s**t this is bad” to “I’ve seen this before, and I have one or more plans to resolve the issue.” You can take that same experience and leverage it by imagining the same scenario in similar (or even dissimilar turns). This is how to maximize the breadth of you knowledge matrix.

That said, another (perhaps better) approach would be to search your feeling, your subconscious,…your gut to determine if there was a forewarning of the impending unexpected event. Dig deep here, because if you uncover something and develop it, you will no longer have to react when something similar happens. Instead you can recognizing it beginning and stop the situation in it’s track before it develops into a problem, or at least it won’t be a shock when the problem happens because you will have see it coming.

In the hear and now there is no fear or tension, no future or past; there is only what ‘is’. If you feel you’ve left here/now land, ask yourself “where am I?”, and What time is it?" to remind yourself that you are in control of where your awareness/attention goes, then find your next reference point and get back on rhythm.

To me, this statement seems like an oxymoron. If you want to be as good as you can be, then go do that! But how can you accomplish that if you put labels or excuses like ‘old’ or ‘untalented’ on your self? Beliefs, expectations, self image, self talk, etc. all have a HUGE influence on our ability to learn and perform, so don’t pollute your mind with this kind of limiting crap. Instead, demand your best, expect you best, and hold yourself accountable to those ideals. Everyone has there own goals and motivation, and their own level of commitment to pursuing those goals. Ultimately the work will show the commitment, and the commitment will produce the results.

And, one comment on ‘talent’; I believe everyone has their own potential maximum performance/talent level, but because racing is such a difficult craft to master, I don’t think many people even get close to their potential as drivers due to lack of understanding about the learning process for racing. To me, real ‘talent’ is the innate ability to keep learning… as I said before, to extract the next lesson you need from your experience, apply that lesson, and then propagate that new understanding throughout your being.

You should enjoy the ‘bolts from God’, but you should also put the effort into propagating that bolt throughout your knowledge matrix and being… that’s why [insert your higher power] gave gave it to you… it’s a key or tool to be used to evolve, not a trophy to stare at. Also, if you really want to progress to your potential, you should be constantly tugging on ‘His/Her’ robes asking for the next bolt; not waiting for chance to bring the next one your way.

Learning is an engine; it requires fuel and a spark to propel you forward. The fuel can come from commitment, dedication, the joy of success, previous progress, etc. However, no matter how much fuel you have, you must provide the spark (discontent with the status quo) to ignite the fuel and drive you forward… no spark, no progress.

That’s why many post-race winner interviews go something like this “I want to thank my team an our partners. We’ll enjoy this tonight, and then start preparing for the next race tomorrow.” :wink:

The type of fuel you provide; it’s potential energy to drive you forward, and it’s personal ‘cost’, depends on you your goals, commitment, passion, etc. You have to understand that driver’s like me (in my youth), and I suspect Tanguy, were commuted to becoming the best at the highest level of motorsports. To do that requires the most potent fuel (very small doses of joy mixed with do-or-die passion and commitment 24/7), and a learning engine running at the red line (almost constant sparks of discontent with the current performance level). Having run at this level for many years, it hard for us to imagine anyone not doing the same if they really want to be their best.

But the reality is that there are many different classes of racing for a reason; not everyone can, or wants to, run nitro-methane at the red line 24/7. If you want to make consistent progress at whatever ‘level’ you choose, you should pick a fuel type and red line that provides the joy to discontent ratio (or learning rev limit, if you will) that you are comfortable with, and work that process consistently.

Anyway, that’s my $0.02 - Disclaimer no illegal drugs were taken during the writing of this post, this is actually how I think. :crazy_face: