Sim Racing Megatopic

This is food for thought, thank you. I will give this the consideration and attention it deserves from the comfort of my hotel bed tonight.

I just took Maggie for a spin and decided to get a bit
Extreme and am moving the seat forward 2cm. This will either totally break things or be a step forwards.

I refuse to believe lo206 is this wierd. :grinning: I might race here tomorrow if I can get to 5/10 on the comfort scale. Wish me luck with the setup.

Edit: the change was correct, though incomplete. I should listen to myself more often. Big difference. We are going to lower the front a bit to see if we can move some more grip forwards.

anyone know if theres any kart kraft mods?

There’s none as far as I know. I don’t think code has been release to support them yet.

1 Like

ya not surprised it would be nice to be able to mod it tho the community would definitely grow.

Soooo rather than do open heart surgery on my iMac, I got a line on a $300 refurbished Dell machine 2.8ghz intel, 16 ram with Nvidia Quadro 2000 graphics card, ought to run iRacing perfectly well, considering it’ll be used for nothing else. Back online next weekend hehe

Jumped on for the first time in a while and rolled around with buddies last night. We spent a lot of time in the Formula Vee at Oran Park. So much fun. That car is great. Tough to drive but rewarding and lively when you get the tires heated up.

Also ripped around in a hosted Indianapolis session, and a dirt street stock session. We like to mix it up.

1 Like

I haven’t found motivation this week. Week 12 also. Real racing strikes again. I am more of in a Destiny mood than iRacing. Every time I get back on track I feel less excited about sim. This is annoying. Did VOG last night in Destiny 2. Good fun!

I revisited kartkraft after a very long break to see what had changed and how the game felt after a prolonged absence.

I hopped into time trial on the ka100 at AMP and let it rip in the base kart. The kart felt alive but a bit heavy to steer and unpredictable under braking, prone to snap oversteer if you dwell too long on pedal.

However, the force feedback was so alive and the kart sends so much information to the user, it feels comparatively much more detailed than iracing. Maybe it is because a kart is a small vehicle, but it feels to me like you have much greater sensation in KK, particularly what the wheels/tires are doing. The kk experience is more direct, more forceful, more “real”.

I spent a few hours chasing down the kart, seeing if I could make it feel right. By adjusting the kart, I was able to arrive at a setup that allows for deeper braking while keeping the kart pointing forwards. The kart can hold load better, brakes well, and turns on a dime. It’s not perfect, but fiddling with setup allowed me to approximate what it should feel like, and it’s enjoyable as heck.

The real beauty of kk lies in the way the kart handles, how it interacts with the rubber. Jumping back in, I am once again, blown away by how richly detailed, when tuned, the KK driving experience is. It is so raw, so unfiltered, so direct. It’s an absolute joy. I spent the session surfing the rubber, getting faster and faster, remembering how it feels to hustle the virtual karts.

The six months I have spent in iracing have taught me a ton and I find that I see the track and it’s challenges much more clearly now. I have a better understanding of driving overall and suspect that my time in iracing has been beneficial. Iracing has been an amazing experience, thr competitive ladder system in iracing is unequalled. But, KK is the better sim, from a driving perspective. It sucks you into the driving and you are there, in the moment, in KK. As great as iracing is, the wheels are comparatively numb.

I really hope that KK finds its way and becomes the iracing of karting. It’s that good.

I’ll post my setup. It’s utterly bizarre. I basically took all front end out and set the seat way back and down. It shouldn’t work but it kind of does. The setup below is for the FA kart. The different karts are very different. The Sodi, for example, is much stiffer.

I have found that FFB at 50% on base and in game makes the kart reasonably weighted at speed.

Anybody want to race me at amp in time trial?

@tjkoyen The game has changed such that those giant hand gestures I used are now gone. At least at AMP, you cant huck the kart anymore, that appears fixed.

1 Like

I give it a go. Dusted off the wheel last week for fun. I won’t be able to challenge but I’ll turn some laps because why not.

Yay! Try kicking about with tuning. Use BIG changes and see what happens. It’s quite interesting. You’ll never setup up a kart irl like you would in KK but that’s sort of part of the fun.

@KartingIsLife it looks like leaderboards have not been reset as I still have time in the board in 100 at AMP. I am about .7 off that time from the past. Let’s ignore that time of mine. I currently am faffing about in the 54s.

@KartingIsLife I’ll ask you to try the bizarre tune as well. Do me a flavor and try different gearings and report back to tell me if it makes much of a diff for you. Try 9-63 versus 9-65 for example. I challenge you to find the rev limiter.

Just ran some x30 laps. I’d say that it’s better than the ka100. It’s also surprisingly more savage.

This occurred to me today so naturally I made a meme.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: we may have sim only for ICE eventually.

Trying something different. Moved a shaker right between pedals and changed the rears to be mounted more directly to seat.

I just can’t help chasing leaderboards

Especially when the game is so very, very good. This is the best driving sim I have driven. From a sheer engagement perspective, the experience of the kart, is unparalleled in sim (IMO and EXP).
I am not kidding. I love iRacing. It’s an incredible sim. It doesn’t come close from a feedback and driving engagement perspective.

I think whoever mentioned this greater car sensitivity being due to the smaller size of a kart may well be correct. In sim, the vehicle feels light and transmits tactile information beautifully. It shakes, rattles and rolls. With six shakers going and VR, the kart feels alive and much like being on track IRL, only on steroids. The biggest difference, aside from the sense of the chassis, is the tires/wheels. There is a great deal more info, it seems, coming through on KK.

I heard somewhere that iRacing has limited-or-no slip telemetry, or something along those lines, as part of their efforts to combat cheating. If that’s the case, it would explain the relative deadness of the tires. In KK you feel the grip, skip, etc. That, combined with the chassis flexing under load, creates a pretty unique sim experience.

Anyways, here’s a lap of AMP. This is ostensibly training for the race coming up, familiarizing myself for 21HP I won’t have as this is X30. I seriously doubt my rental line will look similar.

I got up to speed in 3 eves. I am proud of that, actually. I was somewhat concerned that perhaps I was no longer decent at this, but it came back pretty fast. It also came back “better”. I understand S1 really well now and am no longer baffled by how to be quick through the 3-4 complex. I struggle with the back complex and the end of long downhill-uphill after turn 4, but managed to think my through to a good exit.

This lap is special because I nailed the last turn. It’s been the weakest part of my lap, consistently. This time, I managed to string it and the other two sectors together, which is a small miracle. This landed US 2, GLB 10. I’ll probably try to post a faster lap, but I think I might go mess around on a few other tracks, too.

Down the rabbit hole

Optimal is good for #2 or 3. Having a blast comparing notes with the other worthies and finding good tunes.

It’s really interesting that my tune and Zycos tune (which are diametrically opposite) produced similar laptimes. I had seat all way back and down, he was forward and high. And yet both handle well, just differently.

I can do a .2 here, I think. Time trial is quite the mental challenge. I had forgotten how much we get in our own way.

@olivier.p you’re a better karter than me now but I feel comfortable showing you the following:

Look at t2 in the 2 videos above. Look specifically at the width I use (at turn in) in the faster of the 2 laps. The first lap is slightly narrow. That narrowness cost a tenth.

Use all the width there.

These aren’t great, either. A true bomb s1 for me is .3x. The slower one here is a .5 and faster a .4.

looks like your turing in to early and sliding while turning before the apex

then u realise u will jump the kerb so steer out of the corner

Yep it’s a bit of a mess. Oddly, though, that is 13.07 which is within a couple hundredths of best time.

It looks wrong and probably is, but, within the game, there doesn’t appear to be much more there. No one has broken 13.00. I think my best is 13.04.

The second lap is a tenth slower s3 (faster lap).

It’s a funny one because I can do a nice stable version of this with earlier braking but its at best a 13.1x.

My biggest challenge here typically is the final turn and the complex at end of mid-straight, top of hill.

Do you play KK?

Show me how you think this turn should look if so. I am curious.

also into t1 there is a ton of available relistate on exit

now on the exit of t4 try a different line to straiten u out for the chicane
look where i am vs where u are

same thing in 6

look like u still mised the apex maybe your overdriving?

yes occasionally but i try and practice being somoth insted of fast (in a way where im only good in kk)
i can send u a hotlap of how i think it shuld be done once im home

1 Like