Sim Racing Megatopic

Does unplug replug the USB port get it to light?

When I first got mine, I struggled to get it to work as well. In my case I was using the lenovo which is a WMD device. For this I had to download the Windows Mixed Reality software. I also had to download steam vr.
Frequently, you’d get the headsets “launched” but the lenses wouldn’t turn on. The headset would show the tracking working, but there was no image. Alternatively, I’d get the message about not being able to find the device. The problem would be solved by literally unplugging/replug the usb cable. The headset needs to be in a 3.0 usb slot.

What exactly is happening with your?

I did a couple of things. I installed Steam VR, unplugged all the equipment and plugged them in again. I have 2 usb3 ports. I use a single sensor directly in front of me, but the Oxulus software informed me that the calibration can only finish when I calibrate a Oculus Touch controller. So I added a Touch, but then a second sensor is required. I don’t have enough space to have the two sensors at the minimum 1,5 meters apart, so the location of the second sensor is quite useless. Anyway, according to the system it’s all calibrated. But that is when my screen did show VR but the headset won’t switch on. This is in Steam VR. I also have the option to run KartKraft in Oculus VR but then I can only open the KK menu but not a practice or race.

Any progress? Just curious.

Actually yes. I am able to run KartKraft on VR now! It seems that it was both software-related as hardware: the cable is not good anymore, so moving the cable around causes blackouts. I have to think of a solution because Oculus doesn’t support the first generation Rift anymore, so there are no new cables available.

But first I have to solve a new issue. After playing about half an hour without major issues (apart from an occasional black headset), I found out I was getting quite nauseous from motion sickness, something I didn’t experience before when I tested VR. I have to look for the cause, but I have a hinch. I attached the sensor at the top of my regular computer screen. I drive with force feedback at the max to get a genuine resistance on the wheel. However, this causes my desk to move and vibrate a bit, causing my computer screen and my Rift-sensor to move around a bit too. So the thing I will try next is to fix the sensor to something (the wall I assume), so that it is completely motionless.

Be aware that frame rate definitely matters. Make sure you run low enough settings to get 90fps, if possible. lower framerates can nauseate.

A Rift has a max of 90fps, but I may be below that indeed. Do you know how I can check the current framerate while driving? I haven’t figured that out yet. (Edit, I am probably able to find the answer to this somewhere on the internet, so I should research first).

I was pointed to FPS VR.

Its not expensive, either.

Progress

So I learned something interesting. The game has a leaderboard for time trial. On this leaderboard, they show your best time and what I assumed was the sector times for that lap. In the game, the telemetry also gives you lap and sector times. What’s driven me nuts is that they aren’t the same and don’t add up.

856%20game%20sectors

So as it turns out, the sector times displayed on the leaderboard are not the sector times for your lap. They are your best sector times for any lap that gets you progress on the leaderboard. It’s not pulling from the telemetry data, only from the leaderboard data. So that was confusing.

Here’s a lap that moved me forwards. Taken a while to get here but am at point where I should be able to make a significant jump, hopefully. According to best leaderboards sectors and telemetry, I should be able to land a .6X with some effort.

Well, now I did it - just bought Fanatec CSL F1 package with their Black Fri deal.

2 Likes

I’m eyeing up seats/cockpits closely. I need somewhere to actually sit.

I am not entirely sure what I just stumbled upon but I am sure its going to end up costing me money.

1 Like

I am bananas about this 80/20. The engineer need in you would appreciate, I think.

1 Like

Congrats. I almost bought a steering wheel. It’s a great deal, considering the current market.

Finally getting back to KK after a long break. Been busy with regular life…ugh.

Seems like the game is running pretty well! Would definitely like to get some Multiplayer time.

Remembered that Fanatec does deals pretty much only on BF. The site was getting slammed, took several tries to get an order placed. Now begins the wait.

Aha! I see you. I have been struggling, sort-of, with the chicane in s2. I have been capable of running a GLB 1 lap for a bit now but that darn chicane… Anyways, I spent a fair amount of time getting really good at S1 and S3 as I waited for S2 to come back. It hasn’t completely but it’s starting to get landed more often.

Here’s my latest, hot off the presses. Unfortunately my audio went bonkers midway through. Enjoy.

1 Like

Junkyard. So much better having a comfy car seat rather than a racing seat.
@Matthijs_Hofman any luck? Need any help still?

Dang it. Just landed the beauty I have been trying for a month and a half and watcha know, no video. Sometimes this happens and thus, blessedly, you aren’t subjected to my music choices.

I landed a 41.757 which leapfrogged me to global 2. It was a lovely but flawed lap. Despite a relatively slow first turn into S2 (the cutbacks) I stomped the 2nd cutback and pulled on the ghost. From there I carried a big run through my nemesis, the back chicane. There’s a conservative line and the psycho line through this, and I ran the latter, which I land rarely. Since I landed it and maintained my lead, I made sure not to overcook Bobby corner and slow enough at the bottom to hold the line and grab a very early push out.

From there, going round the top, our paths diverged. I tend to try to go less deep and take more of the island on exit to the straight. As we began our descent, I was losing speed slightly, relative to the ghost, but as our trajectories matured, his line was less efficient, and I pulled away. Glory! It felt really nice to finally land what I knew I could do. I struggled with this for a month and a half, but patience has been rewarded.

What’s nifty is that I am not too worried I didn’t get video. I am confident I will land a .6X soon and set us a new bar to chase. I will get that one, I hope!

@Muskabeatz Come show me how it’s done. :racing_car:

Just realized, my erratic cutback line, really is faster, it would seem. My S2 is significantly faster than anyone up there. Hmm. Methinks I got dis.

1 Like

Awesome! Isn’t my current lap like a 42.2 or something? Lol…granted that was after maybe 10 minutes of lapping, but still, that’s a huge gap to close!

Nice job!

Yea you were 42.2 but the fun begins getting below 42. It took me a bit to start seeing 41.9x but I imagine you will make short work of it. The difference between 41.9 and 41.7 is pretty subtle and in my case, entirely down to the back chicane and wether I nail the final bit.

I am hoping to land Global 1 at 46.x. In theory I am capable of lowish 41.5x. But, I am not sure I can connect a .2x S1 to the first turn of s2 efficiently. Almost none of my landed “fast” laps have a .2x s1. The majority are .3x because it seems to allow for better rolling speed past apex. Slow in, fast out. @Matthijs_Hofman noticed this as well.

If you are looking to upgrade, I did order a new base so I do have a backup fanatec csv 2.5. I could part with it, @Muskabeatz. You would need to buy pedals.

I did not mention but .7 was a bit of a tease… I landed the following along the way… 41.811, 41.808, and then 41.803. Was a bit frustrating, lol!