Sim Racing Megatopic

Remember the Simcube FFB pedal I posted about? The pricing is out… ZOIKS!!

2400 euros for a SINGLE pedal.

Holy smokes! I think someone fell asleep on the keyboard when typing in those prices.

That’s just not reasonable, at all. I’m not sure how pricing works but have parts gotten that expensive that they have to charge this or do they think the market will bear this?

For context, a set of high-end hydraulic pedals is around 2 grand.

Maybe Simcube can send us a pedal for review. :sunglasses:

Perhaps I should have James anoint me with an official title so I can approach manus about review stuff.

Edit: I suppose if you are paying 10k a weekend on euro championship, spending 5k on pedals is a rounding error.

We had something very similar to this at my university (Loughborough University) maybe 15 years ago (at least terms of actuation and height of the ground when in action)

3-Figure1-1

I was involved in a phd study at the time as to whether professional and good amateur drivers learnt in the same way, and that was the cheapest way to test it. So they had me some other people on the university kart team, some pros (i think Ant Davidson was one of the pros) do laps round Kyalami (the track that no one knew at the time).

We also got to drive round in one of these (this was the real life learning bit and we had to use a vehicle no one had driven before. I believe it was supposed to validate the simulation results and be an extra data point.

Conclusion was I should be a pro lol.

But in all seriousness there was a guy on our university kart team who hadn’t driven a kart before he joined the club and was just supremely talented. This experiment reinforced that. I think he was first.

Another note is 25% of the people got motion sick and couldn’t do it.

1 Like

That’s a cool story, Nick. I can’t think of too many phd studies that involve getting to hoon an off-road vehicle.

Did the nausea that affected some occur on the rig or in the off-road car?

I wonder if the nausea is amplified by the large travel of the actuators.

Some folks can’t even watch kart videos. My dad says it makes him feel sick.

I have so many questions…

Do you know the name of that study and/or if it’s available online anywhere?

Was this studying how the different types of drivers learnt the new track (Kyalami), or how their overall driving skills evolved over time/experience, or both?

In this case, did his ‘talent’ manifest as instant speed; like sit down for the first time in a kart or sim, and in two laps he’s on pro pace, or was it more like he still had to go through the learning cure that the other people in the study went through, but he extracted more from each experience, and was able to apply what he learned more quickly so his learning curve was far more vertical than the other test subjects?

Ho, Ho, Ho! or Go, Go, Go!

With the holiday season approaching, take comfort in the fact that your Xmas shopping for Dom just got much easier.

1 Like

In some ways he was.

So very pretty

This may be vaporware, not sure

Cube Control is very much legit, we will see

They are definitely very cool looking.

Ok so it’s not a sim car but may become one shortly…

This car sounds bonkers but the question I have is, is it too weird looking for you to want it? It kind of has a Batman vibe.

• Want
  • Nope

0 voters

1 Like

Well, I prefer the Audi R8 or a Lancia Stratos in Alitalia colors but… SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

1 Like

How about shoes that look like racecars?

French Pedals: Tricolor

Le Bleu, blanc, et rouge. A clever idea, I thought.

Even cleverer: carbon with heel stops.

Company in question is Venym who have been “bitten by the race spirit”. How clever. The carbon ones are from the recent sim show in Germany and aren’t available, yet.

The reviewer made a video of the stuff he thought most interesting at ADAC expo:

Simracing has come a looooong way recently. It seems like a few years ago, there were 3 brands and the market was focused on cheap, plastic stuff for kids. Now it’s totally different: consumer direct drive etc, small brands making cool stuff.

Of course, things have gotten pricey as quality has increased. But, the early DDs led to Fanatec, and then the rest, coming up with affordable models for broader market. They were able to scale this and we all are better off for it.

I have hope that Simucube activepedal fortells a similar future for pedal tech. Someday, if these are epic, they will be able to make more affordable versions.

So I upgraded CPU and GPU this week, 11400K > 11900KF and RTX 2060 > RTX 3070Ti. Now I can run iRacing with pretty much everything on, including full shadows, and I’m wondering if getting a G2 is even worth it now with everything I’m reading on how 4090s can’t even do that.

G2 being the vr headset I use?

I use it with a 3060ti and am satisfied. I can’t run super high but it’s pretty good at med/high.

If I’m not mistaken a 3070ti is more powerful than a 2080ti.

By the way, they seem to do the occasional $299 sale on the g2. At that price, buy it.

Yeah. There’s a lot of people saying that they can’t run most of the settings, but I’d also imagine they probably have super sampling cranked way up too. I have plenty of headroom for my Lenovo now, ultimately I wish there was someone around me that had one to try out first.

I found that everything massively improved for me when I used the very well thought out VR guide that is on the iracing forums stickied in VR section. The fellow who wrote it knows his stuff.

This one. Requires iracing login to access forum.

I heard that something recently broke iracing (and kk) framerates, however.

But yeah, the lenovo is way easier to drive as it is much lower res. It’s also so darn light compared to everyone else, which is a strong point.

So akchooly… I have an idea for you…

My first g2 suddenly freaked out on me and the image through the lenses went wacky. I assumed they were toast and bought another one for 299 on sale.

That new one worked great till it did exactly the same thing. Doing some research I discovered that changing a setting at the windows level fixed rhe issue.

I still have the one I retired. I bet it still works. If I can get the time I’ll see if I can hook it back up and get it going again. If so, that might be something you could try out and possibly buy for a song and a dance.

I use that guide too. At the start of the week with the new update I had what I thought were the same rendering issues everyone else had but it turned out to be Nvidia control panel applying vsync from my monitor. Forcing that off made things smoother than they’ve ever been.

If it works I’d be glad to try it. Where I live there isn’t any convenient way to check things out before hand so a lot of the time anything I buy is just based off of reviews and pictures. And good luck returning things.