Sim Racing Megatopic

Thanks for the info, for me it would be a new build, so no existing equipment or upgrade. I know there are a bunch of different units out there, I just cant seem to find the direct correlation to the sim genre. Not looking to imitate a F1/Nascar/GT3 type feel, more just a kart focused setup without breaking the bank. the Fanatec ones look good, but then there are a bunch of different choices. in the end I just want a solution to work, and not have to upgrade the day after or over buy based on lower requirements… finding that perfect match :wink:

My pal @tankyx is much cleverer than me in terms of sim racing so he might have thoughts…

DD base is way to go. moza or fanatec at this point. The Fanatec with the 8nm boost is what you would use to start with. If you really love it, you could always upgrade to a more powerful unit.

In terms of car matching, that’s a steering wheel choice, mainly. They make wheels in many styles from drift to f1.

Pedals must be loadcell.

Rig: ideally 80/20 like I mentioned the simlab gt is affordable. Seat alf sliders will cost extra. I bought a slider for around $50 and got a v nice car seat out of a ford hot hatch (ST) for $250. I find actual car seat to be comfortable for simming.

For kart setup you’ll want to imitate pedals. No clutch, left foot brake:

You could even repurpose a kart steering wheel. But you’d have no buttons on wheel. :smiling_face_with_tear:

If you are trying to emulate a formula car seating, look for formula style rigs. Most rigs are GT style. With VR, it feels fine to me. Here is a kart sim from Sweden that bundles in pedals and stuff:

Should you be wealthy enough to outsource this, here is an idea:

Some linkies:

Rig:
http://sim-lab.eu/shop/product/slc001-gt1-evo-sim-racing-cockpit-446

Anyone use any other brand they can recommend?

Moza Loadcells:

Their entry level pedals are NOT loadcell but these are. This ain’t cheap though and includes a clutch at $499.

Fanatec pedals:

V3 @ $399 with clutch (loadcell)

V2@ $299 with clutch (loadcell)

Finally, entry level loadcell:
CSL-Lc @ $199 w/ clutch!

Base-wise rhe fanatec 8nm, the Moza 9nm, maybe the new Logitech but it’s a bit more expensive. There’s also the Thrustmaster coming soon.

I bought a RigMetal Plus:
https://rigmetal.com/
The price compared to the others (especially when prices increased, theirs decreased), shipping costs, and being somewhat local to me (Pacific Northwest) influenced my choice. Plus it comes with things others in its price range don’t such as a super beefy pedal deck and a shifter arm.

The main difference between the 8020 rigs is the little parts such as plates and brackets. Some rigs have thinner walled profile but ultimately if you aren’t standing there purposefully trying to make the thing move you won’t notice. So shop around and compare for the best deal for your local. And don’t forget to put things in carts and get shipping prices. When I was looking Trak Racer, besides charging extra for things like a shifter arm, had a crazy shipping price and every individual item you purchase has a separate shipping charge that adds up.

For a seat I with a tube frame sparco copy from Jegs with side mount brackets flipped upside down for adjustability.

The nice thing about 8020 rigs is that any accessory for one can fit any of them, regardless of brand, so you can pick and choose things like keyboard trays for instance.

Right now my gear is all Fanatec: CSL DD 8Nm, v3 pedals, shifter, handbrake, and I have 5 wheels now. I’ve been very happy with it all in my year of ownership and have had no troubles at all. I am however getting ready to swap my pedals out for a set of Heusinkveld Ultimates for the greater control and fit adjustment they provide.

1 Like

I am jealous! You will have to let me know if they are worth the spend.

Bought and fired up World of Outlaws for Xbox this weekend as a nostalgia trip back to my memories of the 2002 game on PS2.

Good fun, though a bit tough to play on controller. Takes a bit of getting used to. But if you like dirt racing it might be worth a look. Career mode is really enjoyable.

1 Like

I do like single player storyline play, I did enjoy the single player stuff in the f1 series. Have you tried the rally titles? I have not.

What are we looking at? Is it just iRacing?

That cone doesn’t belong there :upside_down_face:The last update changed the way the cockpits are rendered in prep for when they finally turn rain on. The downside is that things can actually breach the cockpit, like guard rails and apparently softer items such as cones.

Ah, i thought the view you were getting was borked somehow. I did not notice the cone.

By the way, thie issue I had with my 1st G2 was solved in this area byt flipping switches…

Ill dig out the old one and see if it works again, too. Needs a break from these 18s laps. Easy to get fried with short, intense laps…

Here’s the track, AMP-C. A very fun little track…

By the way, If anyone ants to buy the CxC simulator, I’d be happy to come test it.

Let me know and fire me a message

I have found a solution, of sorts, to my Youtube and music problem.

I susbscribed to a service that allows you to play their music on your streams (with a sub).

Obviously its not Dua Lipa and U2, but its very good and enjoyable.

Also they have “collections” specific to streaming…

Esports by Challengermode

Score your next highlight reel with the bold and tempo-changing tracks in this esports album. Handpicked by esports professionals at Challengermode and inspired by competitive games such as VALORANT, CS:GO and League of Legends, these tracks are the perfect mood setters for an epic display of skill.

It works! Just plugged it back in and it is fine. LMK if you want to test drive.

How did you take the screenies that show the individual eye circle?

I’ve been thinking about this and I think this is ultimately why I can’t seem to find the same joy in car sims as I have in KK. The experience of KK (at least for me and my rig) is considerably more “direct” than Iracing. When I’m in the kart (KZ in particular), its savage. The Chassis is felt distinctly. The tire on the tarmac, you feel it hop and skitter around as your weight transitions, etc. Its just so much more alive, direct, immediate, engaging. Its kind of ruined cars for me. They are just too heavy and numb in sim, comparatively.

It’s the shocks and the weight, I guess.

1 Like

I will PM you my address.

I don’t know if you’ve checked out OpenXR with iracjng yet, but it allows you to use VR on a WMR headset without having to use steam and frees up a bit of resources. One of Microsoft’s WMR developers has created a “Toolkit” which provides all sorts of enhancements such as sharpening, Fixed Foveated Rendering, post processing, etc. Part of FFR is Hidden Area Mask which culls image processing completely in the hidden areas the lens can’t uncover, freeing up more. FFR also processed rings at lower resolution and can be set up in a way that you don’t even notice it.
The black corners are the HAM.

It also lets you produce single eye screen shots.

Ill take a look. VR is so finicky sometimes, I am afraid to mess with it. Thanks!

CoffeeRacer hide-away rigs

These are very interesting. Rock solid and they are meant to minimize footprint and emphasize storability etc.

Not
Cheap

But appears to be very well liked by those whose budgets exceed available space.