Check out the new simlab one-piece unit:

[

RaceX Pro Chassis

](Sim Racing Cockpits)

€ 699.00

• Rigid single piece tube frame
  • Direct drive suited

Probably getting this to have pedal adjustability for my gt1-evo:

Tonight’s project is adjusting the throw of the accelerator on the V3. It is way too long by default.

2 Likes

Adjustments made! It was an easy thing to do.

Next step is to buy the pedal slider and install that. I’m tired of having my knees banging the wheelbase and driving in a “car” position.

1 Like

It just occured to me that getting the pedal tray slider will make me need to change up my shakers up front again. This may allow me to separate sides a bit better, have them wider apart.

It would be cool to have access to a tool shop and welding equipment if you are a sim nut. The name of the game seems to be to have the shakers as close to your body as possible. Unfortunately, that’s hard to do. Custom parts would make life a lot easier for mounting. Instead of having to attach shakers to the aluminum rig, you could also have them mounted to the car seat directly, etc.

I still only have one buttkicker, but it is mounted as directly to the seat as I can get it with my whole seat being rubber mounted to the brackets. It’s actually pretty hard to feel it anywhere but the seat.

The damper on the throttle is a big no

What’s the reason? I have it on lightest setting.

Either you have it on the lightest setting and it doesn’t do much, or it is on an heavier setting and the pedal lags behind when you release it. I just don’t like when the pedal lags behind my foot

Yeah I can see that. At lowest setting it doesn’t lag behind foot. It may not do much but it looks the business and that’s what matters. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I will say this for the v2. They may not be sexy but they are quiet.
The v3 has a lot more parts and inevitably something makes noise. The heel plate, for example.

Sale on parts at simlab!

I’m going to get a beefier base mounting solution.

Hey, with that in mind, wouldn’t having the damper on the brakes also have the same issue?

It would, I dont like it on the brakes either

Big improvement. Had a great session last night and managed to get sub 9s a couple times for the final turn. This appears to be the only way to break the 9s mark (kerb hoppy). My very best no kerb are all 9.0x.

Brake a bit earlier and turn in a touch earlier. You have to chop the nose off the entry, taking the kerb in such a way that you effectively shorten the line. You want to land in the rubber and allow the kart to track a bit wide.

Throttle is important here. Too much throttle mid-corner (after taking kerb) and you push a bit, which costs some time as it’s not efficient. You also have to balance the karts desire/need to run wide towards the wall (speed) with holding the left (control). It’s magic when done right, throttle peaking as you hit the bottom 1/4 of the turn.

Made huge improvements in last two sessions, consistency and understanding way up all around the lap. S1-2 is still not consistent enough in the .0-.1 range, but I am starting to get it and my efforts are better with far less “bad” ones and much higher percentage “decent to good”.

I think I’ll land a strong lap soon.

1 Like

Things are heating up

Finally, after over a month, I slightly improved my PB! But, it would appear that this lap is likely the opening salvo. I started landing good laps very early and rapidly bettered my laps. This particular one, while my current best, isn’t really good in that much is left on the table. Each sector represents a good but not best result. I suspect my next best lap will have one of the sectors being excellent.

1 Like

The struggle continues

Optimal now 17.92. C’mon, man, land something!

I’ve been thinking about Ryan’s latest video where he breaks the turn down into 4 phases.

1. Braking (straight line part, wheels straight)
  2. Turn in (trailing brake down as turn in evolves)
  3. Rolling phase
  4. Scootching on out (corner exit acceleration)

His premise is that if you isolate the mistake to the phase, you can more easily identify what you did wrong and correct. Makes sense.

The thing that sorta stuck in my craw was his 3rd phase, rolling.
I don’t disagree but it struck me as bold. He states pretty clearly that this is where the kart finishes it’s rotation and is very brief. That is accurate. It is true that for a moment as you transition from braking to throttle out that you are indeed “rolling” and that duration is mainly very short. But, it could be a deliberate phase of rolling freely, off throttle, kart neutral for whatever duration is necessary, I suppose.

I’ve never thought of that moment as “rolling”. I’ve always found it to be more like taking in a breath. But he’s accurate and described it more simply.

And, truth be told, in my TT shenanigans at AMP-C, it has become clear to me that time off throttle, when it makes sense, can indeed be faster than being in throttle hard and early.

The first turn at amp-c is basically a very tight left that immediately transitions to a hard right. If you are not “rollling” a part of this turn, the throttle makes the kart carry wide in the transition from left turn to right turn. Being off-power allows the kart to stay tight to first apex and have the correct, shorter line out of 2nd turn. The off-throttle lets the kart complete the rotation and stay balanced, not pulling hard to right.

Additionally, in the final turn, the fastest line involves jumping the kerb at the top part of the corner, shortening the distance traveled as it allows for a less “wide” run out with more efficient power going down. Even though I am technically off gas for what is a long time, (the jump part) the fastest versions of this allow the tires to grip the kerbing without redirecting your momentum and land gently enough to make immediate grip on landing.

In short, he’s correct. I just never thought about that moment of balance neutrality being thought of as “letting it roll”. I think his way of describing it is helpful. I spent a lot of time convinced that I needed to be full power always and asap. Maybe if I had understood this earlier and had the mental image of rolling a part of the turn, I’d have spent less time overdriving like an ape.

My 2c.

Woot! Pedal slider installed!

2 Likes

CSL DD Bundle: $499.99

A hurdle hopped

Like I suspected, my times started to get better as I get more comfortable with staying tight in S1/S2 and clipping the kerb in S3. Here’s the outcome of that learning process.

I finally managed to nail S2 and S3 in the same lap, which is a relief. Now that I’ve done it, it’s going to get a lot easier to do, I think. Pity about S1 being a bit slow, but I’d rather have good position midcorner than a fast S1. Still, work to do.

I am happy that I have a ghost to race again, now that I have finally beaten the broken ghost of “None”. This should be fun. I am hoping to land an 18.0X lap. But, should a 17.9x happen, I’ll take that, too.

1 Like

A bit faster, still

I really nailed the opening bit, here. Linking the turns here felt amazing, in the moment. The kart just shoots through but felt like it was on bearings, balanced. Fun stuff. The final turn went well, too, but was not exceptional, clock-wise. Still, good enough to shave off another couple tenths.

This looks amazing. Does the game get maintained and updated frequently by the developers?
That is a problem with games that aren’t very popular, or niche. I may check it out. Is there an online multiplayer version where would be able to race each other?

Ha! Kartkraft is the poster boy for games with potential that are semi-abandoned.

They ran out of money after a decade of development and were acquired by MSG. MSG then took the in development game and called it “complete” and put it on steam full price.

Then, MSG financial troubles crescendoed and they are in a mad scramble to get an Indy title released so they basically stopped development on kk and have the kk team working on Indy.

Game has tech glitches rhat haven’t been patched, etc.

It is only useful for time trial at this juncture. It’s not worth buying, alas. It’s too incomplete to recommend.

I am a bit of a nut and play it a lot but I see it as “training” and I can’t really get out to kart irl at all these days so it’ll have to do.

The online multiplayer is just a test system that they were not able to complete yet. It has multiplayer ghost practice sessions. No contact. But servers are dead.