Sim Racing Megatopic

Thanks for the reply, this is exactly what I was afraid of. Sad because it really looks promising.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great for what it is. It’s a sim in the purest sense of the word, really. It’s an amazing drive but there’s no content other than TT leaderboards. We have a small group of worthies that will battle for position typically.

1 Like

Another thought. Folks who buy KK thinking this will help with practice…

yes, but…

It takes a while to understand how to drive these virtual karts since you don’t have the feedback you’d get from seat of pants irl. There’s an adjustment period, I’d say, as you learn to read the feedback you get as opposed to the feedback you expect from your real life karting.

The discord frequently has new drivers saying “it’s too twitchy” or “kart spins too easily”.

Nope, it’s not broken. That’s what happens when you hold the brake down for too long and all the weight shifting forwards overwhelms the kart. Just like in real life, except you can’t feel the mass shifting like you do irl. Same deal with the twitchy steering. It’s a kart and very sensitive to direction changes. Again, since you have no sense of “yaw” it’s easy to over-input.

In time, you adjust. But, the intital experience can be off-putting to some because the karts are “hard” to drive well at first. They amplify your imperfections due to their fundamentally twitchy nature and the lack of tactile feedback makes it challenging, at first.

In sim terms, this is the ultimate one, to me. It’s totally raw and completely unforgiving. There are no driver aids and the kart punishes your driving appropriately.

Once you get the hang of it though, it’s a heck of a workshop/playground.

2 Likes

Had a pretty amazing session. The ghost seems to have been replaced with a new one that runs an 18.142 which is just perfect for me to chase. I accomplished two things which dropped my optimal to17.799, which is pretty cool. 17.9 is the current holy grail with #'s 1&2 at 18.04. It’s a big deal in terms of psychological barriers. A week ago if you had asked me, I woulda said, “nah”. But, here we are and things appear to be getting faster.

So, for starters, here’s a 5.09 S2. This is significant in that it breaks the .1 barrier where top 5 reside in leaderboard. What’s interesting about this is that it has a minimum speed of 33 mph mid-corner, which is 1 mph faster than anything I’ve landed.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxkDXM5gpu9N6JvivPRSCyAWQrJxW29RyD

I close out the evening by landing my fastest S3 by far, which makes me happy. It’s so hard to nail these, but when it works out, it’s special.

1 Like

Somebody used bits and pieces to assemble a smol rig.

How to get views
Make a “short” in YouTube. I made a short of Nicks brake failures and it very rapidly surpassed 1k views. I guess YouTube is really promoting the shorts and want them to get traffic.

Whoops, I did it again :sunglasses:

After a brutal commute, I banged out some laps and this popped up without much of a wait. It’s a funny lap in that I match my current best, exactly. Splits are similar, too.

S1: 3.979
S2: 5.115
S3 9.033

The ghost today was slower. Hard to tell but looked like it was in the high .2’s. This is the first player I’ve seen different ghosts for the sessions. This one had a much less strong S3, for example. Maybe it’s been like this but I just didn’t notice.

Logitech partners with Playseat

I got a new desk and reorganized my “office” aka sim room. I dusted off the sim, and by that I don’t mean I drove on it, I mean I literally dusted it since it’s been sitting unused for a bit.

2 Likes

If you ever get back into it, lmk. I have a fanatec csl 2.5 belt dritve lying around. I bet it’s better than the Logitech for kk and the like. I’ve always wondered wether your issues with KK are equipment based, partially.

Also, ive alerted the authorities. The FOV police are on their way to your house.

4 Likes

:laughing: :rofl: :joy:
The FOV police…

2 Likes

I have almost zero interest in hot lapping in KK but I appreciate that. I also have no time for anything serious anyway. My driving is limited to drunkenly crashing open lobby practices in iRacing with buddies.

And yes, the FOV police at going to arrest me.

3 Likes

For drunken crashing into pals in iracing, the Logitech has the right amount of torque.

1 Like

It’s from Reddit. The simracing sub has a few questions that get asked often, namely, 1. Who’s at fault? And 2. How’s my FOV?

And, here’s a FOV calc link:

1 Like

I feel attacked

A sale on hero 8

70s analog tank-sim

1 Like

Ok so observation time…

Hotlapping leaderboards is in an interesting and instructive process.

It’s a bit like sculpting, I’d imagine. You start with a block of marble and bang away at it with hammer and chisel.

Initially, you make fast progress, the lap starts to take shape. As you go along, the laps become harder and harder to improve, you trade in the chisel for more precise tools and start working on the details, the grinding and polishing.

In TT, this process is (like sculpting) about subtraction, about removing excess material (time). Time is measured through the total lap time as well as three sector times. These sector times allow you to better understand what is working, what isn’t, where you are fast, relatively.

The TT process for me is about learning each sector, and then, ultimately, stringing 3 of them together in a fast lap. As you get faster and faster, your progress in each sector goes from making improvements in tenths, to hundredths and then, finally, thousands of a second.

It’s kind of fascinating, really. Sim has given me the ability to run theoretically infinite laps (and therefore the potential to improve infinitely). The process of sculpting the lap has gotten quicker over the years and my improvement seems to be primarily that I am faster to getting fast. Also, I seem to have acquired a pretty deep tool chest that allows me to play with the sectors and intuit (from previous experience) what needs doing.

What’s curious, to me, is how progression appears, thus far, limitless. With each new leaderboard push, I improve, finding new understandings. I find that as I get more skilled and closer I get to the top, the more subtle the learnings are. I am finding time in things like understanding how to apply power relative to the variability of the slope of a turn, for example.

In this latest push for amp-c, I’ve seen my optimal time keep dropping and dropping. While actually landing a #1 lap hasn’t happened yet, the past several days have shown that I am in the final stages of this particular effort. Sectors are fast and coming together 2 at a time. Each night my laptime dispersion gets narrower and the fast laps more frequent. It’s so rewarding and so very, very encouraging.

I can’t help but wonder if it were possible to engage with karting in real life as I do in sim, what the result would be. My experience of running thousands of sim laps has shown me that we are capable of endless learning and improvement. I wonder if we had unlimited funds and time, endless open track, what we could accomplish.

Anyways, just a musing. It kind of blows my mind how, at the end of the day, doing something (with intent) a lot, leads to improvement. I call it chasing mastery. What’s also really cool about chasing mastery, is that you are never done. You will keep learning new things, I think, endlessly.

None of this is about talent, btw. Talent just makes the process faster. But, anyone can do it. What takes me 3 months takes @tankyx 3 hours, typically. But, it’s doable, if you are willing to put in the laps.

1 Like

Moza Bundle discounted

Mario’s kart looks fairly correct, despite the 70mm tubing.
Looks like he’s still rocking a KT100, tho.

From upcoming movie:

Looks like they went back to 32/30 but upgraded engine package to dual reedjet. The rain tires are presumably for dealing with banana storms.

1 Like