SKUSA SuperNationals 26 - TJ Driver Diary

The heat formats are the dumbest thing to me. Really think it should reward forward progress in the races. Finish in Heat 1 sets grids for Heat 2. Points scores for Heat 1 and 2 sets grid for Heat 3.

Instead you’re stuck rolling out DFL in the carnage regardless of how you perform.

1 Like

I’m sorry this panned out as it did TJ. I don’t mean to sound sour grapes fanboy but I really thought that track was dumb as hell.

I was watching your race and there’s a bunch of places, but one in particular, where you have a lot of space to turn, initially, but it “boxes” off the inside into a sort of 90 deg lip with barrier that, of course, ends up having the dude inside pinched down.

It just seemed like there was too much width in the wrong places and some decreasing radii that made stuff too messy.

Anyways, if it was just TJ, I’d be looking at myself in the fanboy mirror and saying maybe I’m being too hard on the nats team. But it was a mess all around. And, fisty, too, in a sort of slap-fight way.

A forgettable nats which really sucks since you had a paid ride and that was cool as hell. Good job on working up to 25th. It’s a pity you couldn’t have Adakonis out there with team orders with you…

Also, not to be cheesy, but you are a heck of a role model. Your composure through all of this exemplifies your professionalism. There will be no “Moral incident analysis posts” on your behalf, ever, it appears.

And just watched Adakonis weekend ended…rough start. Typical LCQ stuff.

Justin finally had the kart working and was showing speed, with a killer first lap to avoid the chaos and put him 8th, then he got shoved into turn 1 and got turned around. Big shame.

Not the results we wanted all around but it was a learning experience I’m happy to have gotten the chance to do.

Thanks for the kind works and support all. Definitely my worst weekend results-wise, maybe ever. But at this point I’m just happy I get to drive occasionally.

I have some video I will post up when I get home so you too can experience the carnage.

8 Likes

Life of a development driver. Sometimes things don’t fall your way, but every lap is educational.

1 Like

Where have they landed on setup with Justin’s chassis?

On Justin’s kart they basically went with the front end setup I had but less extreme. Faster steering rate, more Ackermann, bar in, max caster. I also had high ride height and wider front track.

On the rear Justin liked the harder axle where I preferred the soft on the 32mm kart.

The biggest improvement for both of us was moving those tie rods down on the column and speeding up the steering. That finally gave us the steering weight, feel, and reaction we were looking for. If we started with that on Wednesday I think the 30/32 would’ve been good from the jump.

Since this has become kinda an unofficial supernats topic.

This was not expected.

This is a pretty tough decision to make. It essentially boils down to “do you want to punish a driver for getting caught up in incidents in the racing, or punish a driver for not qualifying well?” Personally as much as it sucks I think it’s better to keep static grids since it’s worse (in my eyes) to have a frontrunner start in the back because of an incident that he may have no control over, than have a guy that may be fast but didn’t qualify well have to start every heat where he qualified. That’s just part of the result of not qualifying well.

As it is. 1 mistake = punished for 3 races.

Progressive heats. 1 mistakes = punished for 1 to 2 races

1 Like

You get in a wreck in heat 1 with progressive heats that’s automatically 2 heats you’re essentially throwing away after doing what you can to get up front, and that’s assuming you get back into the top 10 from the back in the next heat.

Who do you think deserves the benefit of heat format? The driver that qualified well and put himself up front or the driver that didn’t get the qualifying they think they deserve? To me, starting in the back is punishment for not qualifying well. That’s the bed you made by qualifying badly (or unfortunately missing qualifying in TJ’s case).

We had progressive heats at CKNA Grands, and the only thing that changed was you had more drivers that were fast by got sent to the back because of a wreck, which caused more wrecks as they got aggressive on the starts to make up spots.

Despite how it ended for you @tjkoyen this thread really hyped me up to participate next year :grin:

3 Likes

Maybe we’ll get another “Wade’s a Subscriber” moment. (Remember that KartSport Mag ad?).

How about qualifying, 1st heat in order qualifying, second heat reverse order, 3rd heat pole starts in middle. All 4 scored to determine grid for the final.

2 Likes

Was watching this with my eldest kid and telling her all about Davide. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, he’s one of my favorite drivers along with Senna.

Cant do inverts in events the large. Way too much carnage. Inverts are fun at the club level because it gives slower guys the chance to lead some laps or have a good heat. Should never be used to determine any large events.

1 Like

IDK it seems like carnage is going to happen no matter what

Puma is the highest grip non-aluminum wheel. Therefore to the right of Tiger magnesium but left of Tiger aluminum on this chart.

2 Likes

@tjkoyen is there or was there any talk of trying to help develop the kart for the US market after this supernats?