Smartcarb SC2 - auto air density compensation & improved fuel atomization

IF it were to be done on a KZ by the CIK/FIA (unlikely) I would think the hardware portion would be spec, just like the dellorto is the spec carb. With this I would imagine spec pump, throttle body, injector, and control unit. However, let the mapping be open.

I’m sure there are lower-flow EFI pumps that take a lot less power. An AEM 340lph (total overkill) shows about 12amps at 13.vdc. A small 4s3p 21700 battery could easily power that for an hour. Essentially a tool battery.

Sorry for screwing up this thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d personally have no issue with it as long as the lines are run inside well-secured conduit for those worst-case crashes. It’s relatively low pressure (3-4 bar usually) and certainly low voltage. A manual STOP kill switch for safety (JIC) in addition to automated pump-off due to rollover, high-impact, or engine stoppage (normal automotive OEM stuff) should be sufficient.

All good. Seems to illustrate some of the potential, comparative advantages of this carburetor.

The bigger carb was faster, it was just harder to drive and suited the rotary shifter more than the reed.

I guess it depends what we’re comparing… I’m comparing mod moto vs KZ.

My intended application/discussion for the SC is KZ.

Yes, it seems some were either too lean or too rich…they could not fine the sweet spot.

Even with the adjustability of the metering rod?

Yes, some had some difficulty. One particular buddy Has issues with everything so keep that in mind.

Coworker pal of mine tried a KTM 300 that had a SC2 installed in to handle cold weather riding that the stock carburetor was having jetting problems with, & said the performance improvement was immediately noticeable.

Hi
I run a TM144cc engine in the Australian superkart class. Up until now, I’ve been using the Dell VHSH 30mm and the Keihen PWM carb. With both of those, I’ve had piston failures. Now, I’ve always welcomed constructive pit chatter from my colleagues, but sometimes you receive conflicting information, but one things clear, jetting plays a big part.
So, I’ve purchased and fitted a 38mm SC2 from Corey at SmartCarb, plus 2 metering rods.
The kart runs on the stand but as yet have not taken it to the track.

Would be interested to hear from anyone running a similar set up

1 Like

I want hear how it works.

I thought there would be a compatibility issue with the VSHS vs SC inlet/outlet size variations, since the 28mm SC has the same 35mm OD outlet, while the inlet OD is 14mm smaller, but SC offer a sleeve down adapter. I thought SC was going to make kart-specific carbs, but it appears they’re sticking with the established lineup, which is probably sufficient.

I opted for the 38mm SC2 which fitted perfectly to my previous setup.
I also upgraded my mikuni fuel pump to a higher rate. Race tracks here have long straights and elevation changes.

Larger bore makes sense for RR &/or bigger tracks with longer sustained high RPMs. You’ll definitely be able to test its effectiveness in those conditions.

That would be interesting to test on KZ and SSE

2 Likes

After trying larger carbs on a KZ I’m convinced that the 30mm is perfect for karting. The transition response is just so nice and you lose that with larger bores. On big tracks it’s less of a thing and the bigger carbs are nice. But on kart tracks it’s hard to beat that crispiness of the 30.

The thing that gets me about the SC2 and other smart carbs is that people seem to never really get to an optimal baseline in order to reap the benefits of its “smartness”. That’s not a reflection on the carb mind you.

The one thing about the smart carb is it’s egg kinda shaped bore. So at initial opening it should act more like a smaller carb, but then benefit from the flow of a large carb at WOT.

1 Like

Very interesting! Did not realize that.

Yeah, that egg-shaped profile is distinctive & not by accident. It’s part of the formula to SC2’s performance. I’m not familiar with the setup & tuning issues of the SC, but would like to know more before committing to it.

1 Like